Change only failing ball joint or more?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My front right side uppe ball joint needs replacement.
I drive this old 2001 Tahoe about 3000 miles per year. It has 250000 miles on the gauge.

Questions:
  1. Do I need a wheel alignment after changing a ball joint?
  2. Should I change left side upper at the same time as the right side? (Do both sides wear similarily?)
  3. Should I change the lower ball joint(s) at the same time? Do the lower ball joints wear similarily as the upper?

This is an old worn rusty car that is only used for short trips to the scrap yard, to buy building material etc., so I don't like to spend any more money than absolutely necessary on it.

The car:
CHEVROLET TAHOE 2001 (B2W) 5.3 V8 AWD, 273 hp

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks here on the Forum will chime in with their recommendations and perspectives.

From my perspective, since your use of the truck is limited to short distance travel, and you don't want to invest any more into it than absolutely necessary, then I'd recommend investing only in items that maintain/restore the safety of your truck for you and those on the road around you. I'd change only the known failed ball joint(s), and leave the rest as is, inspecting them periodically for any additional wear. Be sure, however to give a close inspection of the other suspension components, as it is reasonable to assume that if one fails, there is a good probability that its corresponding mate on the other side has significant wear.

Regarding an alignment, I'd get an alignment any time that I disassemble and reassemble any suspension component. If for no other reason, it will maximize the tread wear longevity of your front tires.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the use, I'd replace the one bad one. Unless you alignment is already off (maybe not so much as pulling/wandering, but uneven tread wear), I wouldn't worry about that, either. Just be sure to position the new control arm the same as the old one. You can mark or trace the adjuster cams, but chances are that there's already a defined line of built-up grease, dirt and/or rust so they'll go back exactly where they were. If it feels or drives oddly afterward, then you might need an alignment and it'd be because the new arm just isn't formed exactly like the original. With such limited use, it'd be years before you saw any affected tread wear from the little change in alignment, if any.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im on the other side of the bridge. If the upper is bad then when you take it apart you will find all the others are probably junk too. Replace them all and id stop being cheap on major safety related components. You never skimp on brakes and steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV