Ceramic or metallic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told 'drilled & slotted" rotors are neat looking, but not necessary for regular driving.

I bought my Yukon XL about 8 months ago. Well maintained, but I want to know what shape my brakes are, on all 4 corners. I do like the idea of zinc coated rotors / ceramic pads.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was told 'drilled & slotted" rotors are neat looking, but not necessary for regular driving.

I bought my Yukon XL about 8 months ago. Well maintained, but I want to know what shape my brakes are, on all 4 corners. I do like the idea of zinc coated rotors / ceramic pads.
Why aren't they?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Why aren't they?
Drilled rotors have a statistically higher chance of cracking. They decrease thermal mass too. IMO if you need it, you're better off with slotted than drilled. But either way unless you're towing or doing high speed driving where that becomes important, you're better off with traditional solid for DDing. Better pad life

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACDelco offers slotted rotors.

18A1705SD for rotors and SDPR209TK for a Pad and Rotor Kit

Are you guys seeing these part numbers on the ACDelco website with your VINs under "AC Delco Specialty", a page or two down?

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

I was under the impression that ceramic pads were used on the PPV-SSV, my OE pads are 171-1074 which I believe are metallic.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Abused rotors crack whether their drilled, slotted, vented, flat or a combo of anything. There’s a scenario for every type of disc where one emerges a winner, and one’s a loser. Our 7-9% grades with stop lights all over town aren’t suited for the same discs / brakes of a x county hwy driver.

Real life brake dyno tests are more exciting to read, but they’re not usually made public. If a specific disc / pad combo works, stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth I ran the same drilled/slotted rotors and pads on my 00 XL 2500 for close to 4 years with no warping, cracking and no appreciable pad wear. That included heavy towing and a marathon cross country trip over the mountains with a trailer.

Plus they look cool [emoji2]

Nothing wrong with a set of quality solid rotors and quality ceramic pads, but for not much more money the Brakemotive stuff is a nice upgrade. I even put their stuff on my wife’s CRV, and I live in Indiana lol.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well since I don't know everything about the condition of my brakes.... Even though they feel just fine....... I want to see how much time is on them. So, I'm going to a good truck/mod shop nearby and put my Yukon on their lift and inspect them. Then consider a nice upgrade when it's time.

And I'll know how much $ in advance.

I used them before on my '88 and they were very fair.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative, countersunk drilling and slots don’t do that. The decrease in surface area does dissipate the heat and moisture better. When the stopping energy is converted to friction, it’s path to follow for equalization is far shorter.

The opportunity for pad material and gas off is wicked away so quickly it doesn’t have a chance to bake on or in old skool terms, warp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the stopping energy is converted into 120KW of power....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel