Ceramic coating for chrome wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I coated my truck and wheels with Avalon King Armor Shield IX. Before doing that, I spent a few days wet sanding, compounding, and polishing the truck and it is still not perfect. I completely understand why a full detail with coating would be thousands of dollars. I probably spent under $100 and that includes the $60 I spent on the coating.

Time will tell how it holds up...

20200504_201114.jpg
20200505_165202.jpg
20200505_165214.jpg

Also used it to coat my moms 2019 MDX

20200601_221610.jpg

Joey Justice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't waste your time with spray-ons unless it is just a maintenance application. Will not really add protection to your wheels like a ceramic rub on. I would recommend 2-3 coats of 41X8IzOmQ1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Did a friends wheels yesterday and they turned out great. I have done this on a half dozen vehicles and results and longevity has been impressive. Even though they are wheels and the most impacted thing on your vehicle so every little bit helps. Here is a pic of the ones I just finished.

ncqikizLRkyXSa6CvLiZZw.jpg IMG_0857.JPG

Mark21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll admit it- I like the newer ceramic coatings. The durability is tough to beat Used to use Zano products, but this time around I'll be applying something different.

Take Pride In Your Ride!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This new CG stuff works great, I use it everyother wash and is easy to apply.

The Chemical Guys HydroSpeed cermaric spray detailer

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.detailgarageswansea.com/wac23316-hydrospeed-ceramic-quick-detailer-16-oz.html&psig=AOvVaw2ZwWEBFZOa6uL29lhEr0lD&ust=1607102093427000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJC_66mosu0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE
url

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is really good stuff. It’s meant to be used as a quick detailer spray on vehicles that are coated with one or either of the hydro line coatings. But can definitely be used a quick detailer without and still gives great protection. I just gave my Denali a fresh coating, base layer of hydrocharge, and then a top coat of hydroslick, which is how they were designed to be used. I did my wheels as well. Brake dust just falls off which is pretty nice. I just toweled the dust off the truck actually, and after I sprayed down with detail spray I went behind the detail spray with the hydrospeed mentioned above^ and it works really well. You can even see the hydrospeed beading up like crazy even with just a light misting of the product onto the surface!

briarpatch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wax the back of all my chrome wheels with Meguiar's gold class and just clean the front with soap and water. I don't see the need for ceramic coating them if you take care of them in the first place.

Waxing wheels with normal car wax provides a very short-lived benefit. Heat is the biggest enemy of wax, and with the amount of heat around your wheels, that protection breaks down very quickly. The only wax that would last a little longer is one that is designed to withstand higher temps, like Finish Kare high Temp.

briarpatch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless you're coating your wheels with a product like CQuartz Dlux (as suggested in post #23) , or a similar product like Gyeon Rim, you're likely only going to see a short-term benefit for your efforts. My wife's Yukon came with those giant chrome wheels, which I hate. They're a maintenance nightmare. Twice a year they will come off for a full decon and coating (CQuartz Dlux). I help maintain the coating by hitting them with Ethos Defy after a maintenance wash. don;t get me wrong...they're awesome when clean, but hard to keep that way.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waxing wheels with normal car wax provides a very short-lived benefit. Heat is the biggest enemy of wax, and with the amount of heat around your wheels, that protection breaks down very quickly. The only wax that would last a little longer is one that is designed to withstand higher temps, like Finish Kare high Temp.
My chrome wheels still bead up with water just like they did when I waxed them back in April and shine like hell. Easy to wipe off after washing. Hit them this past weekend with a cost of Meguiar's Gold class.

briarpatch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My chrome wheels still bead up with water just like they did when I waxed them back in April and shine like hell. Easy to wipe off after washing. Hit them this past weekend with a cost of Meguiar's Gold class.

Wow....quite the venomous reply. Just so you're aware. water beading is not the only indicator of protection.

Peace out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt