Ceramic Coating/Clear Vinyl Wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add I’m an LEO and father of 4 kids ages 1, 5, 7. & 14. My wife would hem me up if I was waxing the car every weekend

I know...but sometimes if something is too good to be true it usually is...I’m waiting to hear back from him on what product he plans on using. It’s also a mobile detail place that a friend of mine (has 2 lambos and a Ferrari - would think he’d know best) recommended. I’ll update when I hear back.

tbh I’d spend the money on the expel first. Then ceramic coat it all.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this to their vehicles currently, or in the past?

this is the first family truck I plan on keeping for the next 8-10 years and I’ve looked into both appliqués. It’s also the biggest investment on a vehicle I’ve made and I’d like to protect that as well.

naturally with the white frost paint I’m constantly washing, but I’m more worried long term about protecting the clear coat on the high risk areas.

Any input, product recommendations, shop recommendations (I’m in NJ, work in NYC) would definitely be appreciated.

thanks all!
When I got my (then new) Yukon Denali / Callaway, I had the ceramic glaze professionally applied AND I had the clear wrap applied to all frontal facing surfaces, door edges and rocker panels. Almost 2 years later and I could not be more pleased. Yes, I've picked up a couple small scratches and a rock chip (in the plastic wrap on my front bumper) but overall the protection has been fantastic. I run through the car wash 2-3 times per week and the paint has no swirls. Best of all - No waxing.

DeltaKilo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ceramic coated my '18 Tahoe with Armor Shield IX. Very easy to do, easier than waxing and it has been great for the last 18 months. Looks like I just waxed it yesterday. Makes washing and drying much easier. Most of the work in in the prep (buff and polish first)

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this to their vehicles currently, or in the past?

this is the first family truck I plan on keeping for the next 8-10 years and I’ve looked into both appliqués. It’s also the biggest investment on a vehicle I’ve made and I’d like to protect that as well. naturally with the white frost paint I’m constantly washing, but I’m more worried long term about protecting the clear coat on the high risk areas.

Any input, product recommendations, shop recommendations (I’m in NJ, work in NYC) would definitely be appreciated.

thanks all!

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra to get the clear wrap done. Yes its expensive. It will last longer than a ceramic coating. It will prevent against rock chips. I seriously regret NOT doing it on my Burb. I should have. I travel 80 the parkway and NJT quite a bit and even with regular waxing I have rock chips.

My bother in law had his Esky ceramic coated - he spent about $1400 at some place near Cherry Hill (one of those highly regarded auto boutiques that the Pro Athletes use,wrappers, TV personalities, etc) - and he is disappointed because of the rock chips he has.

Giangi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a transparent film on the front first and then on the side of my Tahoe Z71. The product is called Xpel and I started with a bra, but then I decided to extend it to the door and the third/quarter of the side because recently I got a scratch that they were able to buff away.
After the installation of the Xpel film I requested a bronze package for ceramic coating (which is one layer) and it’s supposed to last 2 years. The cost was very, very expensive also because the Tahoe is a big beast, but still it was a grand total of $5,600 at Ceramic Pro Burbank.

2021 Tahoe Z71 5.3L 4WD Graywood Metallic

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll say it again for the people in the back, ceramic coating does NOT protect against rock chips. Neither does wax for that matter. Ceramic coating was never intended to protect against rock chips and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or misinformed.

Giangi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are correct ceramic coating is not for chips , the Xpel film protection gets applied for protection. The Ceramic Coating goes on top on top of the Xpel not underneath.

2021 Tahoe Z71 5.3L 4WD Graywood Metallic

EZ Money

Reaction score
Personally, I want to keep my ride looking good for me! Nothing turns my stomach more than walking up to my truck and seeing it peppered with rock chips!
I have been getting the clear bra done on my trucks for several vehicles now...maybe the last 5-6. It is well worth the money to NOT have rock and bug chips.

I have also ceramic coated my last 3 vehicles. It doesn't protect against rock chips, so do not think it does. But what it does do is eliminate the need for constant waxing, especially in the Arizona sun and dust storms. It creates a hard layer over the paint's surface so the automatic car wash isn't as damaging to the paint as it would be otherwise. It also allows for a quicker and easier clean and wipe down. I'm not afraid to use the California Car Duster anymore because the ceramic coating resists that potential for scratching.

Lastly, I would recommend using a ceramic coating on your wheels as they "almost" just hose right clean...

OP
OP
PauliePucks

PauliePucks

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra to get the clear wrap done. Yes its expensive. It will last longer than a ceramic coating. It will prevent against rock chips. I seriously regret NOT doing it on my Burb. I should have. I travel 80 the parkway and NJT quite a bit and even with regular waxing I have rock chips.

My bother in law had his Esky ceramic coated - he spent about $1400 at some place near Cherry Hill (one of those highly regarded auto boutiques that the Pro Athletes use,wrappers, TV personalities, etc) - and he is disappointed because of the rock chips he has.

thank you for that input. I travel those same roads (swap 80 w 78 & 24) and can certainly attest to those hazards!!!

many installer recommendations for vinyl?

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a ceramic coating from McKees 37 on mine myself and it was a very easy process if you are familiar with auto detailing and waxing. My 2015 Yukon had clear coat failure on the roof from living outside in the Florida sun and I think the ceramic will make it easier for me to keep it up since it is a 3 year coating with proper maintenance / washing.

I have xpel film on another car and it is clouding after 3 years. Still looks ok but I would expect about that long from it. If you drive on the highway a lot it will protect from chips; but, may not be worth the cost over 10 years if you have to keep reapplying every 3-4 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV