Ceramic Coating/Clear Vinyl Wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
Has anyone done this to their vehicles currently, or in the past?

this is the first family truck I plan on keeping for the next 8-10 years and I’ve looked into both appliqués. It’s also the biggest investment on a vehicle I’ve made and I’d like to protect that as well.

naturally with the white frost paint I’m constantly washing, but I’m more worried long term about protecting the clear coat on the high risk areas.

Any input, product recommendations, shop recommendations (I’m in NJ, work in NYC) would definitely be appreciated.

thanks all!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20190808_134330.jpg I applaud your desire to protect it, but who are you protecting it for? The next owner?
I used to go all overboard and film and ceramics and etc until I figured out I spent a lot of money that doesn’t really bring me any more money later.
I hand wash my vehicles, give them a good paste wax job a few times a year, and in 5 years I bet you couldn’t tell much difference...
Hardest thing on a vehicles finish? Automatic car wash “soft” brushes...

Here is a picture of my 17 yr old Ram for proof

Last edited:

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep a nice coat of spray wax on it. That will bead the water and prevent dirt and bugs sticking to it. I use Meguiar’s D156 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax. I can wax the entire Tahoe top to bottom in less than 15 minutes. It can be used on all surfaces including black plastic and glass. Super easy!!!!! I also use a Trinova brand foam cannon when I wash it. Between the foam cannon, the power washer (no touch from a brush or mitt) and the spray wax I have a shiny vehicle with a protective coating with no swirl marks. The wax does not last many washes but super easy to reapply.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this to their vehicles currently, or in the past?

this is the first family truck I plan on keeping for the next 8-10 years and I’ve looked into both appliqués. It’s also the biggest investment on a vehicle I’ve made and I’d like to protect that as well.

naturally with the white frost paint I’m constantly washing, but I’m more worried long term about protecting the clear coat on the high risk areas.

Any input, product recommendations, shop recommendations (I’m in NJ, work in NYC) would definitely be appreciated.

thanks all!
I had the entire front end done with expel when I bought my 19 yuk then had the whole thing ceramic coated. Helps with all those rock chips. Especially if you’re on NJT or similar roads. Pricey but well worth it. Stop at a few tint shops they do it all the time, I had mine done at one and was very pleased with the results. Can’t even tell it’s on there. I did bumper, hood, fenders, a pillars and a strip on the roof plus the headlights and fogs iirc. 49A8CA90-28E0-4E16-BC2E-2DF91AE2E6CD.jpeg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 260493 I applaud your desire to protect it, but who are you protecting it for? The next owner?
I used to go all overboard and film and ceramics and etc until I figured out I spent a lot of money that doesn’t really bring me any more money later.

Why do people always assume people do stuff just for other people? I protect my vehicles for me. I don't want my vehicles to look like crap when they're just a few years old and are generally the second most expensive thing someone owns. Your Ram isn't a vehicle that would benefit from a clear bra anyway because most of the front end is chrome and not paint. These Yukons generally look like garbage after a few years because the front end is peppered.

OP, I would clear bra the front bumper for sure. The hood needs at least a partial but I hate the line of where the film stops so I either do the whole hood or leave it. Ceramic coating does NOT protect against rock chips. Ceramic is protecting the paint from damage like a wax but it lasts longer is the cliffs notes there.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone that sells ceramic coating will tell you this.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do people always assume people do stuff just for other people? I protect my vehicles for me.

I'm not assuming you are doing it for "other" people. I'm just saying this can run anywhere up to say 4k range to add film + ceramic especially to a large vehicle like this..
I'm saying it's just not worth the value received. It's your money. I've been on both sides of this fence and I'm saying I can keep a vehicle 95% this nice for 20.00 in paste wax and a little elbow grease... No offense please, just an observation...

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good wax if kept up will provide similar protection to a ceramic coating as far as the paint failing from UV damage. Wax or ceramic coating will not give the protection that a clear bra will though but it depends on the shape of the vehicle and how much paint the front end has whether that is worth it and how much should be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore