Catch can on a 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the later year 5.3 motors would need the PCV catch can. I see that both valve covers have a vent to the air box, can't actually see where the vacuum line pulls from the crankcase. Anyone have one put on their machine? Any pictures of the install? Picking up any oil or moisture in the can? Figure to keep this one for several years and sure don't want to sludge up those intake valves.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think an even better argument can be made for the catch can on the later DI engines than the port injected versions. Even though you are ingesting oil into the intake in either engine, at least with port injection you have the cleaning effect of gasoline being sprayed onto the back side of the valves to help clean the oil somewhat. On DI, the oil just accumulates as the fuel is injected right into the chamber, bypassing the intake track.

WifesYukon17

Reaction score
Yes is the answer. That was roughly 400 miles of collection. I went with a JLT 3.0 catch can. Looks like I'll be emptying it monthly based on how much its collecting.cc480291299ecf25ac617cbb70dfb7a8.jpg23271c4d8019fbf4a6a6c0c40c6d7d7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WifesYukon17

Reaction score
Yeah. I bought a can of CRC intake and valve cleaner. Gonna do a treatment before the next oil change. I'm sure its got some build up based on what the can is collecting. My wife does drive a good bit of highway so it kinda makes sense but I'm still kinda shocked how much its collecting in a short period of time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will absolutely benefit. As mentioned, the back of the valves have no way of being cleaned unless you are consistently spraying a chemical on them or having them cleaned manually (walnut blasting). Many are skeptical and see no reason for the catch can, but what people don't realize is the problems are created gradually. For those not keeping their vehicles for more than a few years, it's no problem, but if you plan to keep it a while, I'd say it's a solid investment. Here's my write up.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/upr-catch-can-w-css.109388/

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been really researching these lately, there are a few good real world application/result threads by @WingsAA on various models/brands of catch cans compared to others. Their performance, installation, and results.

My ‘15 Denali with L86 6.2L has 110K of no catch can miles. I’m going through some maintenance/upgrade items with expectations of another 110K+ miles. So considering doing some extensive intake manifold heads cleaning service; Walnut shells? full removal? Options all on the table. But then I just start going down the heads/cam full mechanical AFM delete road and all the performance detours of “while you’re at it...” come into consideration... Then I’m fighting resistance of not taking those “detours”; I Digress. Yes trying to stick to clean/undo previous caked up oil in heads/intake then adding the catch can and moving forward with adding more miles. Lots of miles.