Catalytic Converter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading reviews, I decided to go with that Eastern Catalytic 50366 instead of the Walker as my replacement. I don't like that it's a split but oh well. It has good enough reviews that I'm willing to give it a try. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :)

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm still having this issue where I drive it and I just feel a bit dizzy and crappy. It's been driving me crazy and makes me not want to drive it. It's not carbon monoxide but I still don't know what it is.

Today I started looking at the part that I ordered and I'm hoping I found my answer. I had bought it on my phone after clicking on the link that Ron put at the beginning of this thread. The phone being small and all I didn't notice that he linked a converter for a 2002 Tahoe. Mine is a 2005 and it bolted right up but a Walker 50511 says it's not compatible with my year. That's all I can think it is. It's totally my fault again for being too eager....again!

So do y'all think? Is it possible that the wrong part could cause this?
To be completely honest, I suggest that you take your vehicle in to a competent exhaust shop and have them look at it to make absolutely sure you do not have an exhaust leak somewhere that is pulling CO into the passenger compartment. When you start getting to the point that something is affecting your physical well-being, you can't mess around and guess.

I understand that you have been learning and willing to get your hands dirty, but something is obviously causing you to get dizzy and feel like crap.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, I'm still having this issue where I drive it and I just feel a bit dizzy and crappy. It's been driving me crazy and makes me not want to drive it. It's not carbon monoxide but I still don't know what it is.

Today I started looking at the part that I ordered and I'm hoping I found my answer. I had bought it on my phone after clicking on the link that Ron put at the beginning of this thread. The phone being small and all I didn't notice that he linked a converter for a 2002 Tahoe. Mine is a 2005 and it bolted right up but a Walker 50511 says it's not compatible with my year. That's all I can think it is. It's totally my fault again for being too eager....again!

Sorry about the link confusion. I posted it to let you see a design of what to look for when you ordered it. Options. I hope you get this thing figured out so you don't keep getting dizzy.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I suggest that you take your vehicle in to a competent exhaust shop and have them look at it to make absolutely sure you do not have an exhaust leak somewhere that is pulling CO into the passenger compartment. When you start getting to the point that something is affecting your physical well-being, you can't mess around and guess.

I understand that you have been learning and willing to get your hands dirty, but something is obviously causing you to get dizzy and feel like crap.
We used to drive around with open Headers on Saturday afternoons before installing new Mufflers and never had any issues.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you buy inexpensive Chicom cats? They last a year if you're lucky and could off-gas something to make you ill, idk.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy inexpensive Chicom cats? They last a year if you're lucky and could off-gas something to make you ill, idk.

I think I bought the middle of the road catalytic converters off of RockAuto. They seem to have good reviews. I've tried two kinds, and as of today they both make me feel dizzy. I'm guessing it was a coincidence that I replace my catalytic converters and I started getting it ill. I'm starting to wonder if I have some sort of mold problem in my AC system.

Can someone tell me how air gets into the cabin? Does it come from the air intake box in the engine compartment?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I bought the middle of the road catalytic converters off of RockAuto. They seem to have good reviews. I've tried two kinds, and as of today they both make me feel dizzy. I'm guessing it was a coincidence that I replace my catalytic converters and I started getting it ill. I'm starting to wonder if I have some sort of mold problem in my AC system.

Can someone tell me how air gets into the cabin? Does it come from the air intake box in the engine compartment?

Air comes from cowl area. If the hood doesn't seal well and moor has an exhaust leak, that could well introduce exhaust fumes into the cabin. Same for bad seals on rear hatch or doors and leaky exhaust pipes. Too bad you cannot swap Y-Pipes with someone and see if problem goes away. Sometimes people are selling them on Craigslist or FB Marketplace.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air comes from cowl area. If the hood doesn't seal well and moor has an exhaust leak, that could well introduce exhaust fumes into the cabin. Same for bad seals on rear hatch or doors and leaky exhaust pipes. Too bad you cannot swap Y-Pipes with someone and see if problem goes away. Sometimes people are selling them on Craigslist or FB Marketplace.

So after reading this (Thank you!), I decided to take it all apart and look. Would this cause an issue? I cleaned it up and remove the old foam and replace it with new foam. I also ran engine for about 25 minutes spraying Lysol in there about every 5 minutes while the AC was running.

I the also noticed the two torque screws that hold the cowl in place we're missing. So I replaced them with some like screws to hold it in place better. It was moving around pretty easily.

20200309_183104.jpg 20200309_191525.jpg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after reading this (Thank you!), I decided to take it all apart and look. Would this cause an issue? I cleaned it up and remove the old foam and replace it with new foam. I also ran engine for about 25 minutes spraying Lysol in there about every 5 minutes while the AC was running.

I the also noticed the two torque screws that hold the cowl in place we're missing. So I replaced them with some like screws to hold it in place better. It was moving around pretty easily.

View attachment 242106 View attachment 242107

Mike, is there a musty moldy smell when the AC first kicks on? If so, there is a procedure for cleaning out the heater core under your dash. You might want to start a new thread about that and get the guys in to help who have BTDT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent