Cat delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShaginWagon

Reaction score
03 Tahoe with a stock 5.3. Thinking of doing a cat delete. Don’t drive it very hard at all but I made the decision to keep her instead of opting for another vehicle. Done some research about using plug foulers to “trick” the O2s into communicating appropriately. Sounds super easy and relatively inexpensive. Also read a lot of people are seeing mostly positive results from this and not seeing very many people having this plug fouler trick not work, for the most part. Anybody have experience with this? I’m not expecting horsepower gains or anything super significant with this besides hopefully better breathing for my baby. Positives? Negatives? I live in TX so I’m not concerned with further emissions issues regarding inspection yearly. Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mixed results on various vehicles with the non-foulers. I feel that on the ones that didn't work so well could have with some more tweaking (fine-tuning of the orifice diameter).

As far as not having the cats, you may trade off some low-end grunt for top end. It may not even be anything you'd feel.

Stevo69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
03 Tahoe with a stock 5.3. Thinking of doing a cat delete. Don’t drive it very hard at all but I made the decision to keep her instead of opting for another vehicle. Done some research about using plug foulers to “trick” the O2s into communicating appropriately. Sounds super easy and relatively inexpensive. Also read a lot of people are seeing mostly positive results from this and not seeing very many people having this plug fouler trick not work, for the most part. Anybody have experience with this? I’m not expecting horsepower gains or anything super significant with this besides hopefully better breathing for my baby. Positives? Negatives? I live in TX so I’m not concerned with further emissions issues regarding inspection yearly. Thanks!

I've put offroad y pipes on a 99 silverado w/5.3 and a 95 silverado w/5.7. Both with outstanding results. Much better pedal response. Now, whether that's because the old cats were bad or not, I don't know for sure. They seemed ok. The 95 had 115k and the 99 right around the same. Whether they "threw a code" didn't matter to me. They ran superb. Both were from "jegs".

Reaction score
Both of our mustangs have no cats, but mine is pre '96 so it's not OBDII, doesn't require emissions inspection, and only has 2 O2 sensors anyway.

My wife's is a 2002 and I use a set of MIL eliminators plugged inline to the rear O2's. I don't think these are available to buy anymore, but they're just a couple of resistors on a circuit board with heat shrink around them and a plug coming out of each end. I'm sure you could probably find online how to make them.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck using non foulers. I stack 2 together, put steel wool between them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ShaginWagon

ShaginWagon

Reaction score
I've put offroad y pipes on a 99 silverado w/5.3 and a 95 silverado w/5.7. Both with outstanding results. Much better pedal response. Now, whether that's because the old cats were bad or not, I don't know for sure. They seemed ok. The 95 had 115k and the 99 right around the same. Whether they "threw a code" didn't matter to me. They ran superb. Both were from "jegs".
Awesome man. I think this has finally made me make the decision to make it happen. Actually looking forward to it. I even bought some headers I planed on EVENTUALLY installing as well. Just don’t feel like dealing with the manifold bolts...

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting codes for my bank 2 cat. Even after new sensors. Well I cut them off 2 days ago an I cannot stand driving my Tahoe now. I have a flow master 40 dumped before the axle an Its always sounded good. Well not now cutting the cats off made it raspy an just sound like straight shit. An its weaker. I didnt think that would happen but it's way sluggish an the gas mileage has went to shit. So I'm looking at new cats now. I learned my lesson on this. Did not think it would affect it this much. It's terrible. Don't do it. An btw I did stack 2 foulers together and havent had a engine light since cutting them off so the foulers do work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos