Carven muffler, and third cat delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
Cold start with Magnaflow 12589 and resonator delete:

Warm start with Carven R Series and slp 31059 kit in place of resonator:

Truck at full operating temp rev. To 4k RPM:

Overall I am extremely happy with it. Fairly loud outside but suprisingly quiet in cab with windows up. Almost no drone. Cruising down the hwy at 80mph you can barely hear it. Can still easily hold a conversation and use Bluetooth phone without issue. But put your foot down and its violent lol. Exactly what I wanted. Also the tone is much deeper than my iphone can capture. Very nice sounding exhaust. Definitely a fan of Carven now.

OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
I can say that I will at some point go full 3” exhaust. I think it will deepen the tone a little more. But for now I am very happy with it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I can say that I will at some point go full 3” exhaust. I think it will deepen the tone a little more. But for now I am very happy with it.

When you say go "full" three inch, I assume you mean from the manifolds back.

If you do just be aware that you will most likely loose a lot of bottom end torque.

2.25" Y-pipe into 3" tail pipe or 2.25" duals is enough to support 370+HP.

OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
When you say go "full" three inch, I assume you mean from the manifolds back.

- Yes sir that is what I meant Y-Pipe back. However after sleeping on it I believe I’ll wait till I get a cam and headers. Nothing crazy just the truck spec cam from texas speed and delete the dod.

If you do just be aware that you will most likely loose a lot of bottom end torque.

This is true. Something I also considered lastnight.

2.25" Y-pipe into 3" tail pipe or 2.25" duals is enough to support 370+HP.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds great, surprisingly quite for such a tiny muffler.

I know what you mean about frying the harness, haha, did the same thing when I cut my resonator off.

I'm prepping for a 3" cat back, hopefully within the next week or two I'll have it finished. Still deciding on where I want my tailpipe to come out.

OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
Sounds great, surprisingly quite for such a tiny muffler.

I know what you mean about frying the harness, haha, did the same thing when I cut my resonator off.

I'm prepping for a 3" cat back, hopefully within the next week or two I'll have it finished. Still deciding on where I want my tailpipe to come out.

I know what you mean. I only went with this set up because it was quick and easy. I eventually want dual exit out of the rear corners. Having all the sound on one side of the truck is kinda strange. Something to consider when making your decision.

OP
OP
ScrewbenSS

ScrewbenSS

Reaction score
I will say after watching the videos and hearing it in person its two different experiences. The tone sounds deeper and louder in person.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I only went with this set up because it was quick and easy. I eventually want dual exit out of the rear corners. Having all the sound on one side of the truck is kinda strange. Something to consider when making your decision.

That's exactly what's holding me back. After looking around, a dual exhaust would look very cool.
I went a different route than the 12589 5 x 11 muffler and bought a 12279 5 x 8 muffler.
Its a couple inches longer and 3 inches narrower than the 12589. I can Y it off over the axle to split it up but now I'm pondering the thought of buying another muffler, single in and dual out. Thinking a 12298 5 x 8 x 18 and see what happens.
I'll use the 12279 for now using v-bands so I can swap them out later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan