Cargo roof carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
looking around the forum for cargo roof carrier stuff and have had no luck. I have a XXL Thule cargo box that I will be loading up as much stuff as possible. I have seen that the factory cross bars should not exceed 200lbs but I may be looking at going over that amount. The size of this box is already a good 10-20 lbs and ill be throwing at least 2 maybe 3 luggage bags up there each being around 50 lbs. Along with the luggage I will cram w/e I will be taking with me. This will be a full family move and I'm not positive on what all I will be taking with me vs shipping back home yet. I'm looking to see if anyone has done this in the past or at least has loaded down their factory roof rack with maximum load or exceeding and see if they had any issues.

I'm not apposed to buying new cross rails but also don't want to spend $400 on them when they say the maximum load is 165 lbs. I would rather build something that can hold some real weight and enough to at least suffice my needs for this trip. I may even go as far as buying some angled bar and finding some way to bolt them to the factory rails or replacing them all together with the angled bar some how.

Any ideas or comments?

-Alex

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
I will be jumping on a ferry ride that is 8 days long and they charge by the foot. I got rid of my travel trailer due to this and since the govnt is paying for the move they will not cover that for me. The ferry will end in Washington and then ill be on my way to Texas. Most likely be picking up the parents for the ride from WA to Texas along with the wife and 2 kidos. Ill also have the hitch carrier to throw some stuff on.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
I'm going to try and find 2 more factory cross bars and call it good. I feel that since the 2 on there will be rated for 200 lbs max then if I add 2 more then I can for sure exceed that. I really only need another 50ish lbs to go up there I'm guessing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts