Cargo mat that doesn't suck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya. I did the velcro strip all the way to the point where the seat backs slide under. It might be good to do the two corners closest to the tailgate and then about 2/3rd's of the way toward the seats. I don't think my OCD will allow a snap off center to account for the 60/40 split lol. I'm pretty excited about being able to just snap them in though. I'll post pics when I get it figured out.
I have a box of snaps sitting on the work bench. Gonna try to get around to doing it this weekend. Post some pics if you get it done.

like2detail

Reaction score
It worked really well. I did make a HUGE mistake with the placement on the passenger side seat back. Have to make sure to keep the snaps high to not interfere with the part that covers that gap between the floor and the seats when it moves. I feel like an idiot now. Four snaps on each mat worked out really well. I removed all the velcro except the OEM pieces at the top of the "60" section on the seat back. They don't move at all, really secure, easy to remove and reinstall.

Attachments

• 67624292849__D8EEAFAC-56FE-49B5-B897-E8D776758865.HEIC.jpeg
    67624292849__D8EEAFAC-56FE-49B5-B897-E8D776758865.HEIC.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 67624293937__2B459452-51A6-4B70-9338-C2916DD8C18D.HEIC.jpeg
    67624293937__2B459452-51A6-4B70-9338-C2916DD8C18D.HEIC.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 61

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. Are those the gm mats? How was the install of snaps? What kind of snap did you use? I might consider getting the gm ones and doing snaps as well if it isnt terribly hard to do.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It worked really well. I did make a HUGE mistake with the placement on the passenger side seat back. Have to make sure to keep the snaps high to not interfere with the part that covers that gap between the floor and the seats when it moves. I feel like an idiot now. Four snaps on each mat worked out really well. I removed all the velcro except the OEM pieces at the top of the "60" section on the seat back. They don't move at all, really secure, easy to remove and reinstall.
I mentioned this like a year ago and people foo fooed it. Said they could fix it with more velcro etc.... There is no doubt this is the de facto way to solve the factory mats issue. Looks great...

like2detail

Reaction score
Looks nice. Are those the gm mats? How was the install of snaps? What kind of snap did you use? I might consider getting the gm ones and doing snaps as well if it isnt terribly hard to do.
Thanks! Yes GM mats. Snaps were 12 bucks for a kit on amazon. Just got stainless snaps made for a boat cover. I did learn a lot along the way. I was trying to punch a hole in the mat while it was in place then see that mark in the carpet. If I could redo the process, I'd install the snaps in the mat in the proper locations then lay the mat in the truck, push down on the snap to make a ring in the carpet and just screw the stud into the middle of the circle. I'm really happy with everything except the holes I made in the wrong spot on the one seat back...

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes GM mats. Snaps were 12 bucks for a kit on amazon. Just got stainless snaps made for a boat cover. I did learn a lot along the way. I was trying to punch a hole in the mat while it was in place then see that mark in the carpet. If I could redo the process, I'd install the snaps in the mat in the proper locations then lay the mat in the truck, push down on the snap to make a ring in the carpet and just screw the stud into the middle of the circle. I'm really happy with everything except the holes I made in the wrong spot on the one seat back...
Can you link to the snaps you purchased? The ones i got are SUPER soft. The snap twisted off in the seat back even though i drilled a pilot just a hair smaller in diameter than the threads. Now there is a 1/4" screw stud sticking out and a pretty good hole in the seat back from me trying unsuccessfully to remove it. Not sure what to do now.

1654970641529.png

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, any tips for removing the velcro glue from the carpet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts