Cant rev past 3500 rpm on park or neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavageDad

Reaction score
BTW, the rev limiter can be turned off with practically any canned tuner or tune

Depends on the vehicle and the tuner, for the Mopars with the DiabloSport tuners there was an option to raise the Rev limiter, but no option to completely remove it unless you plugged in your laptop and bought the cmr license. For the newer GM models I'm seeing Pedal Commander and other similar products, but no real tuning options available at this point.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the vehicle and the tuner, for the Mopars with the DiabloSport tuners there was an option to raise the Rev limiter, but no option to completely remove it unless you plugged in your laptop and bought the cmr license. For the newer GM models I'm seeing Pedal Commander and other similar products, but no real tuning options available at this point.
it can be done up to 2020, I don't think the 2021+ have been unlocked yet except for the one's that are licensed for a full upgrade
I have it turned off on both my 12 & 18
you are referencing other manufactures.....which is unrelated

SavageDad

Reaction score
it can be done up to 2020, I don't think the 2021+ have been unlocked yet except for the one's that are licensed for a full upgrade
I have it turned off on both my 12 & 18
you are referencing other manufactures.....which is unrelated

Which ones are licensed? And yes I'm referring to what I personally have experience with seeing as mfg to mfg there are frequently similarities in terms of software and hardware protection from the factory and what they will and will not allow the end user to do. Regardless revving the nuts off your little bone stock LS is a good way to kiss your warranty goodbye when you convert your engine's insides into outsides so I'll personally keep my rev limiter in place. I have enough trouble pressure washing mud out of all the nooks and crannies before it's time for a service to avoid popping up red flags.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which ones are licensed? And yes I'm referring to what I personally have experience with seeing as mfg to mfg there are frequently similarities in terms of software and hardware protection from the factory and what they will and will not allow the end user to do. Regardless revving the nuts off your little bone stock LS is a good way to kiss your warranty goodbye when you convert your engine's insides into outsides so I'll personally keep my rev limiter in place. I have enough trouble pressure washing mud out of all the nooks and crannies before it's time for a service to avoid popping up red flags.
there is one company that is license by gm to do supercharger upgrades for the newer vehicles not sure of the name off-hand cost is like 10-20k or more
other than that we all clearly make our own personal choices
if I happen to blow my engine up revving it in park then there was something else amiss not related to the rev limiter and it would have still happened while moving.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is one company that is license by gm to do supercharger upgrades for the newer vehicles not sure of the name off-hand cost is like 10-20k or more
other than that we all clearly make our own personal choices
if I happen to blow my engine up revving it in park then there was something else amiss not related to the rev limiter and it would have still happened while moving.
Hennessy.. :win:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
normal, gm put a rev limiter on them while in park starting around 2007 or 2010, not sure off hand if it also applies while in neutral or not
there is some exceptions to that esp when you get into a software fault. with the "Baro sensor rev glitch"... I red lined before to 6200 rpm with a engine runaway, it went FULL THROTTLE by it self... mind you it was in gear creeping along at a few mph lol..

when it did this the throttle position sensor ohm reading matched the throttle body (Compared OK) , these built in fail safes were useless when it's overrided by the Baro sensor... (there is two of them Baro sensor and map sensor)

rev limiter my ash.......

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is some exceptions to that esp when you get into a software fault. with the "Baro sensor rev glitch"... I red lined before to 6200 rpm with a engine runaway, it went FULL THROTTLE by it self... mind you it was in gear creeping along at a few mph lol..

when it did this the throttle position sensor ohm reading matched the throttle body (Compared OK) , these built in fail safes were useless when it's overrided by the Baro sensor... (there is two of them Baro sensor and map sensor)

rev limiter my ash.......
the 3k rev limiter is not active while in gear, I presume they put in place so people would not sit there and rev the engine and explode it when starting it on a cold morning

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were at Beech Bend Raceway once in a rental Lexus and tried to grenade the motor. That was the first time we'd ever encountered the rev limiter in neutral. Of course we paid for the extra insurance! LOL
When I was in the oilfield we used to have some horrendous rig roads through mud and rocks. We used to say: "That road is 4wd, high clearance only. Or a Hertz". Turns out that rental cars can go places that regular cars can't! Who knew?