can't read dash in day time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmerg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07 Tahoe can't read dash in the daytime. Is something wrong or is that how they were made??
I often run with fog lights so I can see the gauges.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a mod to keep the backlighting turned on for the 07's. They fixed it starting in 08. I looked but can't find it; I saw it come up a couple weeks ago. Maybe someone else knows where the thread is.

OP
OP
elmerg

elmerg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I have a similar concern about dimming if needed at night but I think it would be worth it!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only other choice you have is to follow the TSB on the issue which seems to involve not only having the dealer reprogram the BCM but then you also need a 2008 instrument cluster installed, which sounds like a very expensive solution. I see nobody ever came back and reported if the dimmer still worked or not, so if you do this, it would be nice for you to do that. Here's the TSB.

Attachments

• DownloadPdf.pdf
    85.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
elmerg

elmerg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will try it. But I am almost certain that the dimmer will NOT work. The wiring schematic is clear that all it is doing is taking full 12 volt from an ign wire and jumping it across to operate the dash lights. Doing that bypasses all the dimmer capabilities.

OP
OP
elmerg

elmerg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am planning to install a three terminal, two position toggle switch so I can have 12 volt to the dash lights by day and toggle to the dimmer wire by night if needed. I am using a Temco CN0257 On/off/On toggle switch.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That should work. Good thing they fixed this for the 08-up.

Malik112099

Reaction score
I did the always on mod to my 07 Denali a few weeks ago. You CANNOT dim the cluster anymore. Night and day difference. I can see the gauges perfectly fine while driving into the sun with sunglasses on. The cluster never got that bright to begin with so it doesn't bother me one bit. Absolutely happy with this mod.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the always on mod to my 07 Denali a few weeks ago. You CANNOT dim the cluster anymore. Night and day difference. I can see the gauges perfectly fine while driving into the sun with sunglasses on. The cluster never got that bright to begin with so it doesn't bother me one bit. Absolutely happy with this mod.
I'm one that never dims my gauges anyway, never saw the need for that. Not once in the hundred or so years I've been driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC