Can't get rear fuel tank strap bolt loose. It just spins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my car backed onto ramps so I can't pull the tire off. So far I tried holding the spinning j-nut from the top with a normal length 15mm wrench and also a stubby length 15mm wrench, but they seem to just slip off.

Seriously loosing my mind. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the nut that's "fixed" on the clip is slipping? Have you tried a needle nose vise grip to hold it?

1644716246400.png

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or cut it off. nut and bolt it back on. at least you can see that one good.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dorman makes a replacement set with the j-nuts and bolts, #55157. Worked great on mine. Any auto parts store will have them in the Help section.

The fitment apps might say they don't fit, but they do.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, I have had luck wedging a sharp putty knife under a loose nut and exert just enough pressure to keep it from spinning around.

If the bolt is too far gone with rust, cutting is an option.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The nut has probably broken free from the capture points on the j-nut, so holding the nut with something or cutting the bolt off may be the only options.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my car backed onto ramps so I can't pull the tire off. So far I tried holding the spinning j-nut from the top with a normal length 15mm wrench and also a stubby length 15mm wrench, but they seem to just slip off.

Seriously loosing my mind. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
You can still put a floor jack under the pumpkin, jack the car up, remove the tire and lower that side onto a jack stand via the axle tube. Does that give you better access?

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can still put a floor jack under the pumpkin, jack the car up, remove the tire and lower that side onto a jack stand via the axle tube. Does that give you better access?
I have a 4 ton bottle jack and a 1 ton trolley jack. I also have a couple 3 ton jack stands. The ramps have raised the car up 6 inches off the ground.

Would I be able to pull something like this off with what I have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts