Can't find Winter tires in stock for 22" 275/50/R22

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+3 for just running the Defenders all year like @swathdiver and @Joseph Garcia said.
While this sounds good and will work, until you have had and driven in snow and ice with winter tires, you will never understand their worth. Thier winter rubber compound and siping make a world of difference on bad roads. If they save you from one accident (and they will...) they just paid for themselves. With Blizzaks my wife's Jag was surefooted and unstoppable in any snow and glare Ice she faced. Huge confidence booster for her.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this sounds good and will work, until you have had and driven in snow and ice with winter tires, you will never understand their worth. Thier winter rubber compound and siping make a world of difference on bad roads. If they save you from one accident (and they will...) they just paid for themselves. With Blizzaks my wife's Jag was surefooted and unstoppable in any snow and glare Ice she faced. Huge confidence booster for her.
^^^^^ Facts!

I never understood it either till I did it...now every vehicle I own (Small 4 car fleet, since have 2 college age daughters) runs Blizzaks in the winter. Of course, it depends on where you live and how much winter you get, as to whether this matters or not.

For us here in the Frigid Northland, where we regularly get 4+ feet of snow a year, and often see 4-5 weeks of ice covered roads every winter; it matters. I feel way more comfortable with my college age daughters on the road in Blizzaks.

When I found out one headlight assembly on my Denali is $1400+ for only the part, it becomes a no brainer...one trip to the ditch pays for the wheels/tires.

Of course, it is a bit of an inconvenience to store and swap them. They are not for everyone, but for us snow belt drivers...its worth the $$ and inconvenence.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

^^^^^ Facts!

I never understood it either till I did it...now every vehicle I own (Small 4 car fleet, since have 2 college age daughters) runs Blizzaks in the winter. Of course, it depends on where you live and how much winter you get, as to whether this matters or not.

For us here in the Frigid Northland, where we regularly get 4+ feet of snow a year, and often see 4-5 weeks of ice covered roads every winter; it matters. I feel way more comfortable with my college age daughters on the road in Blizzaks.

When I found out one headlight assembly on my Denali is $1400+ for only the part, it becomes a no brainer...one trip to the ditch pays for the wheels/tires.

Of course, it is a bit of an inconvenience to store and swap them. They are not for everyone, but for us snow belt drivers...its worth the $$ and inconvenence.
I fully agree that dedicated winter tires are undeniably the way to go if you can afford and store them. In fact I used to run winter and summer tires too.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each person has their own opinions and personal experiences, and that is a good thing.

I use winter tires on my front wheel drive daily ride (3-row studded Winter I-Pikes), so I know exactly the difference between winter tires and summer or all season tires. However, my other AWD drive rides do not use winter tires, and there has been nothing that the NH winters, full of snow and ice, have never been too much for my AWD rides with all season tires in 12 driving seasons so far.

Again, each person has the right to their own opinions, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Facts!

Not to mention the fact it isn’t about “Going”….it’s about “Stopping”.
Any AWD vehicle can get going, unless it’s neck deep. But stopping is where the value is. And not being able to stop is the big deal.

At the same speed winter tires will stop you on ice the avg of 25% shorter distance than any all weather tire. And when you hit a glare ice stop sign,that’s the difference between an accident and not.
I hated changing them too, but on an all aluminum body Jaguar that only few body shops can fix, it was a no brainer. 1300 bucks at Tire rack and we were set with TPMS installed. But the best part was not having to worry about my wife out on the roads in the winter whether she was a mile away or 150 miles away….

crankin

Reaction score
I recently tired a set of 17s from costco and wouldnt fit over the calipers. So instead of more headaches ordered plain 20" from costco since I knew they would fit. Paired them with the stock size Michelin X-ICE Snow tires. I would never drive a vehicle in our Canadian winter with out dedicated winter tires. All season tires like Michelin Defenders etc are meant for much milder climates.20221119_110221.jpg

relbus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently tired a set of 17s from costco and wouldnt fit over the calipers. So instead of more headaches ordered plain 20" from costco since I knew they would fit. Paired them with the stock size Michelin X-ICE Snow tires. I would never drive a vehicle in our Canadian winter with out dedicated winter tires. All season tires like Michelin Defenders etc are meant for much milder climates.View attachment 386410
Any chance you can share part numbers for those wheels?

Reaction score
I agree with everyone here. Many years ago when my mustang was my daily driver I had a cheap set of wheels with Blizzaks I'd swap to for the winter. Although winters here aren't usually that bad, maybe a few days a year we get a decent amount of snow. Then I stopped using the mustang as a daily and had a front wheel drive E*S*C*O*R*T (wtf it's censored) that did just fine in any of the snow I drove in. Since I've had the 2001 (15 years) with 4wd I've just ran the same tires all year and in snow I'd just place it into Auto 4wd and only once the snow was bad enough I put it in 4hi. The Denali is AWD and did fine in what we get here with the tires that came on it with only a couple times sliding when coming to a stop (damn Bridgestone Alenzas). Hopefully the Defenders will do better this winter.