Can't find the issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plenum25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question if anyone has had a problem like I am having.
So I have a 2007 yukon xl Denali with 200k miles that dies at idle when driven for more than 20 minutes and won't start until you let it cool down for about 45-60 minutes.
Things I have done to try to fix the issue.
New fuel pump
New cam and crank sensor
Had a solus hooked and all the sensors are reading fine when it won't start and has 65lbs of fuel pressure when it is cranking and trying to start.
No codes are present either

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question if anyone has had a problem like I am having.
So I have a 2007 yukon xl Denali with 200k miles that dies at idle when driven for more than 20 minutes and won't start until you let it cool down for about 45-60 minutes.
Things I have done to try to fix the issue.
New fuel pump
New cam and crank sensor
Had a solus hooked and all the sensors are reading fine when it won't start and has 65lbs of fuel pressure when it is cranking and trying to start.
No codes are present either
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Quick question, what caused you to swap out your fuel pump and can/crank sensors? Was it his same issue or something else?

How many miles on your plugs and wires?

OP
OP
Plenum25

Plenum25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fuel pump was original thought and cam and crank were just frustration replaces thinking those might be the problem and the plugs and wires have were replaced at the same time as the fuel pump.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump was original thought and cam and crank were just frustration replaces thinking those might be the problem and the plugs and wires have were replaced at the same time as the fuel pump.
Does it make a difference if vehicle is in neutral, park or drive?

What does your transmission fluid look like?

OP
OP
Plenum25

Plenum25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haven't tried that yet but will have to give look into to it tomorrow.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so you have fuel at that point, do you have spark? heat causes things to expand, so my guess would be something is expanding and possibly loosing a electrical connection?, then as it cools and shrinks back it has the connection again, could be a wiring harness, module, something of that nature.
however some people have reported a similar problem in the past of "fuel vaporization" in the fuel rail, generally after towing for a distance or at high altitude.
check all your grounds, check your fuses in the fuse box if any look questionable replace them, try swapping some relays around too.

OP
OP
Plenum25

Plenum25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was going to take it for drive tomorrow to get it to not start and try to use starting fluid to start it and check spark and check the trans haven't thought of that.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any other work recently before this started happening? Sounds like all the fuel pump and sensors and plugs and wires were all done at the same time after started having a problem. Any other recent work? Valve over gasket work involving coil removal?

OP
OP
Plenum25

Plenum25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No didn't touch coils before and the plugs, wires and fuel pump were first the problem was still there and then the cam and crank sensor were the day after. But the cam sensor was a pain came out in small pieces.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As has been suggested, check all wiring connections at the coils and across the engine compartment and ground wiring at engine and firewall area and at the frame around engine. I am also assuming based on what has been said, that when it runs 20 minutes and then does not start, it cranks but will not fire off. Not, does not crank at all till let cool down, right? That would be a whole other can of worms for your problem. So, I am assuming the no start is cranks but no start, right? When this happens you need to have a plug wire off and short to ground to see if spark is coming down that wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos