Can't bleed the system? Or something?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo! Here is what I had to do. Major leak at timing cover. I took it down and replaced the cover and while it was off, I replaced the water pump as well and the small hoses attached to it. Nice and clean. I let the cover RTV ( room temperature vulcanizing) set for 24 hours. Started it up this morning.

Before starting I filled the radiator as high as it would go. Started right up. Turned the heater on and began to add water to bleed but it would not complete the bleed. Water starter backing up out of the radiator with little to no burping. Temp gradually increases and the heater in the car is not blowing out hot air. BLower is working and cold air coming out. (This part is the oddest part since I have 210 to 220 degree water temp and no heat.)

Also note that I changed out the heater hoses at the wall passenger side as well.

So I lifted the front of the car about 6 inches off the ground hoping any bubble would release and rise to the top. But no go.

It seems like the thermostat is not opening.

What did I forget to do? Any ideas would be great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo! Here is what I had to do. Major leak at timing cover. I took it down and replaced the cover and while it was off, I replaced the water pump as well and the small hoses attached to it. Nice and clean. I let the cover RTV ( room temperature vulcanizing) set for 24 hours. Started it up this morning.

Before starting I filled the radiator as high as it would go. Started right up. Turned the heater on and began to add water to bleed but it would not complete the bleed. Water starter backing up out of the radiator with little to no burping. Temp gradually increases and the heater in the car is not blowing out hot air. BLower is working and cold air coming out. (This part is the oddest part since I have 210 to 220 degree water temp and no heat.)

Also note that I changed out the heater hoses at the wall passenger side as well.

So I lifted the front of the car about 6 inches off the ground hoping any bubble would release and rise to the top. But no go.

It seems like the thermostat is not opening.

What did I forget to do? Any ideas would be great.

It was simple. The thermostat was rusted solid. Before the work it was likely barely working because it was wet. But once I removed the water for about 48 hours and the rusted old thermostat dried out. It rusted solid. Don't ever forget to look for the most obvious reason.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was simple. The thermostat was rusted solid. Before the work it was likely barely working because it was wet. But once I removed the water for about 48 hours and the rusted old thermostat dried out. It rusted solid. Don't ever forget to look for the most obvious reason.
I was thinking maybe hoses on backwards, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14