Can you install a 2 speed transfer case in to a vehicle with a single speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad Sponsel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks!
By the way, can someone verifiy this: "Isn't the "Transmission Control Unit" really the transfer case module?"

Brad Sponsel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Transfer Case Shift Control Module
I think the reason I was getting confused on this is I kept looking up TCU or TCM and it kept coming up with "TRANSMISSION" control module, which is probably not the same as a TCCU "Transfer Case control module", correct?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the reason I was getting confused on this is I kept looking up TCU or TCM and it kept coming up with "TRANSMISSION" control module, which is probably not the same as a TCCU "Transfer Case control module", correct?

Yeah, the nomenclature can be confusing and changes depending on what your source material is. In the Tech-2 the transmission control module is called the TCM and the Transfer Case Control Module is called the TCCM. But when you read the various manuals the transmission's computer is now called TECHM, TCM, TECM, etc!

Brad Sponsel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
QUESTION: Why do you need to replace the TCCM?
I have a 2012 Avalanche with the single speed transfer case..
I've been doing some research on the TCCM. I currently have the NPO transfer case and the existing TCCM is part number: 24261367.. I was thinking the NQH transfer case requires the 24252878, but when I went to find one I found a website that says that the one ending in 67 superscedes the one ending in 2978, so are they the same? https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....fer-Case-Shift-Control/10546578/24261367.html

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=386861&ukey_product=10546578
If you look at the attached link, they only give you one TCCM option (pn: 24261367) but 5 different options for the actual dashboard selector switch. Unless its a programming issue I'd think that the TCCM is the same for both the NQH (mp3023) and the NPO (mp3010) transfer case

The modules are the same when both have Magna transfer cases. It does appear that programming would be the difference. Notice that Charles used the TCCM from a donor vehicle, probably the same PN# but obviously different programming and likely not VIN dependent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne