Can you install a 2 speed transfer case in to a vehicle with a single speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't the "Transmission Control Unit" really the transfer case module?

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Swap that out for Dexron VI Charles. The MagnaPower transfer cases use transmission fluid.

Glad this swap is plug and play without any programming required.

Thanks I will do that is it going to hurt it if I put a 100 miles on it. before changing it?

Brad Sponsel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Today I installed the following for the upgrade. All used parts were from the same vehicle a 2011 Tahoe 50K miles with the optional 2-speed transfer case.

Parts:
Two speed transfer case
Electric Transfer shifter
Transmission control unit
Control switch in dash
2 quarts of Auto trak II oil

The job took a casual 3 hours to install and test. Since I have a lifted Tahoe we didn't need to jack it up.

Removed:
Both drive shafts
Cross member, wiring and the vent line.

Then dropped the transfer case cleaned off the old gaskets and replaced the rear out put seal since it was off another vehicle. Then installed the used transfer case and put the rest of it back together.

Pried out the plastic piece holding the shift control knob pushed on the retaining tabs and installed the new control button. Then popped it back in Be sure to keep the plastic piece square when you reinstall it so it will pop right in.

Remove the kick panel under the steering wheel by removing 2 screws and one bolt.With the panel removed you will be able to look about 6 inches back and see the Transmission control unit. There are three plugs remove all of them and hit the tabs on the top and bottom to release the TCU then reinstall the unit.

That's it no reprogramming, changing wiring harnesses or anything like that it is a simple plug and play upgrade...

HI, I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to do the same thing. I have a 2012 Avalanche LS that does NOT have 4LO.. So am I looking for the MP3023 transfer case? (From what I'm reading the 3024 is for the 2500, and the 3023 is for the 1500, correct?)
Also, just to verify, I'm not losing any functionality by doing this, such as stabilitrac or limiting the AWD function, am I?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI, I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to do the same thing. I have a 2012 Avalanche LS that does NOT have 4LO.. So am I looking for the MP3023 transfer case? (From what I'm reading the 3024 is for the 2500, and the 3023 is for the 1500, correct?)
Also, just to verify, I'm not losing any functionality by doing this, such as stabilitrac or limiting the AWD function, am I?

All correct! Go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic