Can I wire in dash cam from double power source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This doesn't have 2 leads for both power sources, alludes to connecting to full time power for parking surveillance or switched if you don't want to use parking surveillance.

I don't really see the point in installing a 3 way switch at all. Just connect a switch from constant +12 volts and leave it at that. If you have a rocker switch for what reason would you need that switched ignition power source?
IIRC, the 3-way switch was to allow two connections where the first was to constant 12V from accessory for power when ignition is on and switched to that position. Second on position would probably end up wired to the reverse trigger signal wire, so the cam would automatically come on when the transmission is put into R.

I have no switch, but my backup cam has 12V accessory (ignition on) feed from the back of my Boss Audio head unit for activating the cam anytime and the cam also is tapped into the reverse trigger wire (via the harness connector made up by Crutchfield) to turn on automatically when backing up. I do like having the option to run the cam in either mode.