Can I use my stock UCA’s for a 3” lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAMASO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and was looking for some advice. Without success, I’ve also tried to find the answer on my own by searching the forum on my own. I own a 2014 GMC Yukon SLT, RWD, and have already purchased Rancho Quick Lifts along with 1 inch spacers for a 3 inch lift. I have also purchased extended Rancho shocks and coil spring spacers for the rear (to match the front). Question is, do I absolutely need to replace the stock upper control arms? I am unable to find a firm answer either way. Thanks again!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@CAMASO I would also like to know this, from what I gather 3 inches is fully stressing the upper balljoint so you won't get full up and down suspension travel when driving down the road. At 3 inches rough country makes an upper control arm that is angled better to relieve the stress and help the suspension travel better. I look forward to what others have to say about this matter, my ball joints will need to be replaced soon and I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the lifted upper control arms and lift my tahoe a few inches in the process or if I should just stay with stock parts.

OP
OP
CAMASO

CAMASO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Dustin Jackson I spoke to a Tech Rep at RealTruck.com who advised that 3” is the absolute maximum on stock UCA’s. In my case, I’ll probably be even better off since I’ll be installing Quick Lifts along with a 1” spacer. Apparently, from what I was told the Quick Lift is not a full 2” lift. So in the end I’ll be below the 3” maximum.

OP
OP
CAMASO

CAMASO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just received my QuickLifts today. However, there appears to be some damage to the lower strut mount. The rubber appears to be protruding from the mount. Is this critical? Thanks! CBD703C7-9C95-4C15-B2DA-E0A922C23DD1.jpeg

OP
OP
CAMASO

CAMASO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Dustin Jackson, it doesn’t appear to have been used. But I did notice the left side of the lower strut mount was protruding from the housing. And the package it was shipped in was damaged. Most likely from the weight of the strut, since it was free floating in a very flimsy cardboard box. Smh..

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
It should be fine.
So far as a new control arm I would replace it with one made for a mild lift.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace it. All of these spacer lifts ruin the ball joint angles and they don't drive very well and wear the joints out faster. The control arms made for the lift should fix both of those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC