Can I use a VIN decoder to find the identity of a car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexbrandy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can use the VIN decoder service to find out about the identity of any car of my choice? I need help in this regard as I am planning to purchase a new vehicle.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can use the VIN decoder service to find out about the identity of any car of my choice? I need help in this regard as I am planning to purchase a new vehicle.
What exactly are you wanting to do? Do a search for vehicles with certain features or find out where a particular car with a particular VIN is located?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Ohio the state BMV did have a VIN search that showed prior sales and locations. Give some idea of the car's history. A Google search doesn't show much these days but a Carfax subsription might be a good purchase if you're going shopping.

Joena456

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by car identity, I hope you find my answer helpful.

Actually what the VIN decoder gives you is the vehicle’s specifications, this is primarily the vehicle’s year, make model.

It may also include information such, as engine specifications, body type, drive train, and transmission information.

If however, you want to know more about the vehicle you may want to conduct a vehicle history report research popularly known as a VIN check, in my case I usually use GMC VIN CHECK This, however, may not be your choice, there are InstanVIN reports, PremuimVIN, Carfax, etc. you can check them out.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked around quite a bit and couldn't find any real info without paying 15 to 30 dollars for the check.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Did you ever get a suitable answer, or the information you needed for the vehicle?