Can I use a Tech 2 to put in a used ECU?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SSVTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to get a used ECU and install it in my Tahoe. I know they have to be programmed. So can I use the tech 2 to make make the used ECU work with my Tahoe?

Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a used ECU and install it in my Tahoe. I know they have to be programmed. So can I use the tech 2 to make make the used ECU work with my Tahoe?

Thanks

Sure can Dan. Do you have one? What I do not know is if you need to use the TDS system or just the Tech-2 to do it. I think the latter but not sure.

OP
OP

2011SSVTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not purchased the tech 2 or the ECU yet. I just wanted to make sure it could be done before I went that route.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you would need to use the tech2 & tdsweb via usb to serial adapter and a pc computer or laptop or a tablet if it has a standard usb port, the subscription is $40 for 2yrs per vehicle vin

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
run the software thru the browser with the tech2 connected and the key on, it will read the current calibrations and then you will have multiple choices to proceed as needed.

I get that, I was wondering if he needed to do that to get the ECU learned to his VIN? If the ECU came from a different car or motor, I understand the need for TDS, I'm doing it right now myself for the first time. Still learning.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that, I was wondering if he needed to do that to get the ECU learned to his VIN? If the ECU came from a different car or motor, I understand the need for TDS, I'm doing it right now myself for the first time. Still learning.
@Rocket Man Just did one on his Silverado it wasn't the problem but he did it recently, there were a couple little tricks to it