Can I swap in a stock Nav unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
X

Xodus989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I did read somewhere about that, may have been on this or a different forum. Can’t remember right this minute. But if I do, I’ll try to post a link to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info Doug and Bear. I've decided when I upgrade, I'm going to go ahead with an aftermarket one rather than the stock Nav due to the updates, in southern California there's always map updates that help with routes.

Again, thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Doug and Bear. I've decided when I upgrade, I'm going to go ahead with an aftermarket one rather than the stock Nav due to the updates, in southern California there's always map updates that help with routes.

Again, thanks for the info!

I tried an aftermarket, but couldn't get full integration with OnStar, steering wheel controls, XM radio, warning chimes and rear DVD player without a lot of hassle with various adapters, and still couldn't get everything even with them, so I went back to factory equipment. The LUX Nav upgrade satisfied most of my desires. It all depends on what is most important to you.

OP
OP
X

Xodus989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried an aftermarket, but couldn't get full integration with OnStar, steering wheel controls, XM radio, warning chimes and rear DVD player without a lot of hassle with various adapters, and still couldn't get everything even with them, so I went back to factory equipment. The LUX Nav upgrade satisfied most of my desires. It all depends on what is most important to you.
The biggest thing to me would be the steering wheel controls because I don't like having dead buttons in my car, chimes aren't a huge deal and as far as I know, OnStar isn't available anymore in this vehicle due to the digital transition.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also ended up going aftermarket, but stayed with it because of the updates. I tried a couple adapters but ended up staying with the PAC RP5-GM11 because I was able to integrate the rear seat entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing to me would be the steering wheel controls because I don't like having dead buttons in my car, chimes aren't a huge deal and as far as I know, OnStar isn't available anymore in this vehicle due to the digital transition.

Just renewed my subscription, so yes, OnStar still works in these.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, lots of partially correct info here. First, yes it is a direct swap with some caveats. Since it's a Denali, you need to check your RPO codes (the label is in the glove box). You need to see if you have the Y91 code on it, that is the LUX stereo system. You will need a Y91 radio if it does, or a non-Y91 if it's not. They look the same, the difference is in the software. These are also referred to as LUX (Y91) and non-LUX or Premium if no Y91. Getting the wrong radio for your RPO code will require replacing the amplifier under the console with the matching amp and reconfiguring the amplifier plug. Mismatching radio and amplifier will blow the amp. Others are correct about the antennas, and you will have to add a GPS antenna. The factory GPS antenna mounts to a brace under the dash cover, but there are aftermarket options that can just be stuffed in there while the radio is out. The wiring harness for an '05 should be plug-and-play.

The LUX system was only available in Escalades, Denalis and Hummers. It was not an option on Chevys and non-Denali Yukons. I am pretty familiar with the specifics on this because I have replaced the premium non-nav radio and amplifier in my Tahoe with an Escalade LUX navigation system.

One other thing, the latest version of the nav DVD is 2012. No more updates after that. In my area it's still pretty accurate.
Interesting thought on the nav update part. Interesting that 2012 was the last updated version. I didn’t know that. Even in 2015 when I bought my 2006 the nav was pretty outdated at least for the socal areas where I travel most. Plus I like the 3D street view while driving with my aftermarket nav.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts