Can I swap in a stock Nav unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xodus989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up an 05 Yukon Denali with the stock analog radio (tape / cd) player. Is it possible to swap in a stock Navigation unit such as the one linked.? There's two antennas on the roof, I'm not sure what they're for though because there's also a regular radio antenna. I've attached pictures of the antennas I have too.

Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273671491294eb224751a211c605c7e7f28ad6102a1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can change to nav radio but be aware that you’ll have to get it programmed to your vehicle. And you’ll also need to get a gps antenna for it. The antennas on the roof are for OnStar and XM radio IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can change to nav radio but be aware that you’ll have to get it programmed to your vehicle. And you’ll also need to get a gps antenna for it. The antennas on the roof are for OnStar and XM radio IIRC.

Yup he’s correct^ the antenna over the drivers seat is onstar antenna, and the one over passenger seat is the XM antenna. I would assume the non nav unit and the nav y it’s would have different power harnesses, so you would have to probably have to have the correct harness to go with it as well. And you would have to have the new unit programmed to your vin. You would also need to the buy the last nav dvd that gm made for it. Which was like 2008 so pretty dated. It’s probably cheaper and easier to go with an aftermarket 2 DIN gps nav headunit. My 2006 Denali had the factory nav unit when I bought it and it was terribly outdated. Plus the disc laser reader was going bad in the dvd drive so it almost never worked. it kept saying insert nav dvd even if the dvd was in the drive. So it wasn’t worth it to keep it. Plus you can add in nice things like Bluetooth, backup camera, and Apple CarPlay if you go with an aftermarket headunit.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 05 Yukon Denali with the stock analog radio (tape / cd) player. Is it possible to swap in a stock Navigation unit such as the one linked.? There's two antennas on the roof, I'm not sure what they're for though because there's also a regular radio antenna. I've attached pictures of the antennas I have too.

Thanks!

Also the headunit you posted appears to be from the 2003 and 2004 suvs. This is the unit that came in the 2005 and 2006 trucks:
https://www.ebay.com/i/223600630209...jOgi_09mtHE_N81Q9dGKLZnHbTBKkEakaAr4rEALw_wcB

74F11E2F-AE24-4D5B-B95A-ADFAC8E9F9B4.png

OP
OP
X

Xodus989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like what I thought would be an easy swap would be fairly difficult.

It's strange that I have an XM. Antenna, but the head unit doesn't seem to support XM.

OP
OP
X

Xodus989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured out how to get to the XM. Every car I've had had a sat / xm button but I just had to cycle to XM with the band button. I got it setup now :)

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

OK, lots of partially correct info here. First, yes it is a direct swap with some caveats. Since it's a Denali, you need to check your RPO codes (the label is in the glove box). You need to see if you have the Y91 code on it, that is the LUX stereo system. You will need a Y91 radio if it does, or a non-Y91 if it's not. They look the same, the difference is in the software. These are also referred to as LUX (Y91) and non-LUX or Premium if no Y91. Getting the wrong radio for your RPO code will require replacing the amplifier under the console with the matching amp and reconfiguring the amplifier plug. Mismatching radio and amplifier will blow the amp. Others are correct about the antennas, and you will have to add a GPS antenna. The factory GPS antenna mounts to a brace under the dash cover, but there are aftermarket options that can just be stuffed in there while the radio is out. The wiring harness for an '05 should be plug-and-play.

The LUX system was only available in Escalades, Denalis and Hummers. It was not an option on Chevys and non-Denali Yukons. I am pretty familiar with the specifics on this because I have replaced the premium non-nav radio and amplifier in my Tahoe with an Escalade LUX navigation system.

One other thing, the latest version of the nav DVD is 2012. No more updates after that. In my area it's still pretty accurate.

Last edited:

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, lots of partially correct info here. First, yes it is a direct swap with some caveats. Since it's a Denali, you need to check your RPO codes (the label is in the glove box). You need to see if you have the Y91 code on it, that is the LUX stereo system. You will need a Y91 radio if it does, or a non-Y91 if it's not. They look the same, the difference is in the software. These are also referred to as LUX (Y91) and non-LUX or Premium if no Y91. Getting the wrong radio for your RPO code will require replacing the amplifier under the console with the matching amp and reconfiguring the amplifier plug. Mismatching radio and amplifier will blow the amp. Others are correct about the antennas, and you will have to add a GPS antenna. The factory GPS antenna mounts to a brace under the dash cover, but there are aftermarket options that can just be stuffed in there while the radio is out. The wiring harness for an '05 should be plug-and-play.

The LUX system was only available in Escalades, Denalis and Hummers. It was not an option on Chevys and non-Denali Yukons. I am pretty familiar with the specifics on this because I have replaced the premium non-nav radio and amplifier in my Tahoe with an Escalade LUX navigation system.

Come to think of it, I did read somewhere about that, may have been on this or a different forum. Can’t remember right this minute. But if I do, I’ll try to post a link to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu