Can I eliminate rear stereo controls w/o losing any functions ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I want to start removing the unused components of the stereo in my 2001 Yukon while keeping the in-dash receiver for as long as possible.

The remote tape deck is easy to remove, so if that causes problems I can easily re-install it.

But removing that rear control panel is more involved, and I'd hate to remove it only to discover that it causes me to lose the rear speakers. I've read somewhere that this happens in some NBS years.

If any of you have done this, I would appreciate knowing what the result was.

Thanks.

Matt,
@NoReverseYukon
Did you lose any functions when you removed the cassette player? I removed the on dash CD changer and lost the steering controls.

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
Well, I have several, some grey some bronze some with the rubber insert and some without. I was thinking $6 w/o and $9 with the rubber plus whatever shipping would be.

I will post some close-up photos tomorrow of what I have.

EDIT : lowered price ; $3 each complete plus shipping. But when using Paypal, select the option as sending money to a friend to avoid paypal fees. Thanks.

I’d like to get one of those grey inserts from ya if you still have one. Let me know what it would be w/ shipping and PayPal info and I’ll square you up from this end.

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like to get one of those grey inserts from ya if you still have one. Let me know what it would be w/ shipping and PayPal info and I’ll square you up from this end.
Yeah, still have a few. Should be around $8.65 total +/-. If you pm me your address, I can give you the exact amount.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
So, I looked at the wiring schematics and figured out how to remove the rear audio controls, keep the stock head unit, keep the stock wiring harness and still have rear speaker and subwoofer functionality. I just jumped the speaker lugs in the RAC connector. View attachment 238807
Now that I fixed this problem, I can remove the HU-to-cassette connector and put everything back together - then move on to the next project.
Where is that RAC connector located?

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the rear Audio control in a 2001 non-Bose Yukon w factory subwoofer you will also lose the rear audio channels (rear pillar and rear door speakers, and I believe the subwoofer too). I am sure of this. I did it, was having a faceplate 3D printed. Figured it out and then reinstalled the rear audio unit. The rear audio signal from the head unit runs to the rear Audio control before it gets to the factory non-Bose amp.
No, I didnt do anything else besides removing the rear control and deleting the harness. Now not sure if it matters if the truck has Bose which mine does not just the non-Bose amp and sub

You could either jumper the harness, or install a head unit and run your rears off the RCA pre-amp out with a new amp.

That’s a really nice Buick /Pontiac cubby workaround.

Attachments

• 938DBC77-6CA7-47B7-8A47-523C5C5A1BA3.jpeg
    938DBC77-6CA7-47B7-8A47-523C5C5A1BA3.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I looked at the wiring schematics and figured out how to remove the rear audio controls, keep the stock head unit, keep the stock wiring harness and still have rear speaker and subwoofer functionality. I just jumped the speaker lugs in the RAC connector. View attachment 238807
Now that I fixed this problem, I can remove the HU-to-cassette connector and put everything back together - then move on to the next project.

****Update*****

This jumper configuration will not work for 2000-2002, it might work for 2003 + but I can't confirm.

This is how the jumpers must be for 2000-2002.
IMG_20231103_084739541.jpgIMG_20231103_084755493_HDR.jpgIMG_20231103_084808760.jpg

And I do still have cubbies left. Finally found where i stashed them. Will update my for sale thread soon.

Thanks

polaryukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I deleted the rear radio control and harness leading to the back of radio. Didn't effect anything in my truck since I did that. I found stock radio delete panel and installed it.

I'm actually selling the stock delete panel's if your interested, let me know.
Do you have any of the stock delete panels left ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh