Can I beat an 04 Silverado ext cab in my 2010 BB tuned Tahoe on E85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this stock '04 Silverado ext. cab a 4.8? 5.3? 6.0? 2WD? 4WD?

What kind of race- 1/4 mile? 1/8 mile? Until one of you clearly pulls the other? From a dig or rolling?

I'd say you have this one in the bag, unless yours isn't running like it should. Still, do everything you can to maximize your chances. Between running it for a while on the E85 (to allow it to fully adjust) and on a 1/4 tank to minimize the weight, I'd say you have a good handle on this already. Lose the third row seats if you haven't already. Be safe, have fun and good luck!

Oh- I don't think it'd be a total ass-whoopin', but I'm gonna place my bet on you. I'm gonna say you'll pull him by at least a car length.
His is a 5.3 2wd. Yes I plan to remove the seats. Should be ready to get e85 tomorrow evening. Going to run out the existing 1/4 first.

I want to do a roll and a dig. Not sure what roll would be best. We plan to run til we clearly see who won within reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could beat that truck on gasoline if you know how to keep the tires planted. That's going to be a big problem for him, depending on his tires, keeping that axle planted at launch. If he's smart you'll see a few hundred pounds of weight back there.

You're not going to see much benefit of using E85 if you get down to a 1/4 tank, fill it up, run it down to 1/4 tank and race the guy. At best, you'll be in the 50% alcohol content range and the truck will not really have had time enough to fully adjust to it. Run another tank if you can or drive it 50 miles more after the light comes on to get that alcohol content up as high as possible (83%).

Either one of you have 4 wheel drive? If so, plan accordingly.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could beat that truck on gasoline if you know how to keep the tires planted. That's going to be a big problem for him, depending on his tires, keeping that axle planted at launch. If he's smart you'll see a few hundred pounds of weight back there.

You're not going to see much benefit of using E85 if you get down to a 1/4 tank, fill it up, run it down to 1/4 tank and race the guy. At best, you'll be in the 50% alcohol content range and the truck will not really have had time enough to fully adjust to it. Run another tank if you can or drive it 50 miles more after the light comes on to get that alcohol content up as high as possible (83%).

Either one of you have 4 wheel drive? If so, plan accordingly.

I was thinking the same thing. The SUV 5 link should really help you leave from a dig utilizing your low first gear and not spinning. His crappy first gear and leaf springs won't leave hard or have much traction. The roll might have a little different outcome but I still think you will pull ahead.

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff guys. Neither one of us has 4wd. My truck has never come close to spinning. I do have newer tires on it. 285/45/22 Bridgestone tires. His tires aren’t so great.

I’ll get that fill up today and run it out and fill again. Not even sure of the price on the E85, but it doesn’t matter. I’m working from home and do not have to do much driving daily.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
E85 probably won't make that big of a difference if you are already running premium fuel... the ratings from the factory are only about 6HP more on E85 if my memory serves me. 6HP in a 5K LB truck won't even be noticeable.

Now, if you normally run the cheap stuff, 87 octane or the like then the E85 will probably make a noticeable difference just due to the higher octane rating keeping the knock sensors from retarding your timing.

You also didn't mention what rear end gears are in his truck... I assume yours are 3:42 because of the 6 speed transmission.

I have the 4 speed in my Burb but it has 3:73 gears so it moves out pretty good for a 6K LB truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff guys. Neither one of us has 4wd. My truck has never come close to spinning. I do have newer tires on it. 285/45/22 Bridgestone tires. His tires aren’t so great.

I’ll get that fill up today and run it out and fill again. Not even sure of the price on the E85, but it doesn’t matter. I’m working from home and do not have to do much driving daily.

Here's something else to consider, what gears do y'all have? You have either 3.08 or 3.42 and he could have those on up to 4.10s. He could jump ya with 4.10s if you have 3.08s but it'll really come down to whoever can put the most power down at launch without spinning. Practice makes perfect!

Reaction score
E85 probably won't make that big of a difference if you are already running premium fuel... the ratings from the factory are only about 6HP more on E85 if my memory serves me. 6HP in a 5K LB truck won't even be noticeable.

Now, if you normally run the cheap stuff, 87 octane or the like then the E85 will probably make a noticeable difference just due to the higher octane rating keeping the knock sensors from retarding your timing.

You also didn't mention what rear end gears are in his truck... I assume yours are 3:42 because of the 6 speed transmission.

I have the 4 speed in my Burb but it has 3:73 gears so it moves out pretty good for a 6K LB truck.
It may be only rated a 6hp gain at peak hp, but not only is it a gain through out the entire curve, I bet it's more than 6hp in some spots in that curve.

When I run E85, it feels more responsive even a part throttle no matter what rpm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It may be only rated a 6hp gain at peak hp, but not only is it a gain through out the entire curve, I bet it's more than 6hp in some spots in that curve.

When I run E85, it feels more responsive even a part throttle no matter what rpm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Do you run premium when not running E85?

I run 89 always and can not really notice a difference on E85 other than the MPG sucks... lol

My truck is custom tuned for 89 though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts