Can an unsealed ECBM cause squishy brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brakes are spongy since I put everything back together.

I had removed the ECBM and soldered the bad connections. I then screwed it back together and reinstalled it without reapplying new RTV sealant.

I also had to swap the front pads since I discovered they were installed not only on the wrong sides but also the inners were installed where the outers should be. The pistons were compressed while the ECBM was of the car and the master cylinder cap was off.

I'll be honest, I was being lazy. I didn't feel like wasting the time to scrape the old gasketing off and apply new stuff if I didn't know it was going to work out. Plus I thought that there wasn't a risk of introducing air into the brake system through ABS if the car wasn't in motion.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pulled the ECBM down and disconnected just one brake line from....you opened the hydraulic system of the brakes and now have air trapped in the ABS solenoids. Thats why you have a mushy pedal. Easiest way to bleed the system is with a bidirectional scanner that has the auto brake bleed function in it. Like the Tech II Clone.

I feel like a broken record here now. Brake issues in May!

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pulled the ECBM down and disconnected just one brake line from....you opened the hydraulic system of the brakes and now have air trapped in the ABS solenoids. Thats why you have a mushy pedal. Easiest way to bleed the system is with a bidirectional scanner that has the auto brake bleed function in it. Like the Tech II Clone.

I feel like a broken record here now. Brake issues in May!
When I removed the ECBM, I left all lines connected to the ABS pump. I also did not open the bleeders while compressing the caliper pistons.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you're saying that the electronic part comes off without removing any lines, and that's the part you R&R'd? You didn't open any brake lines, right?

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that the electronic part comes off without removing any lines, and that's the part you R&R'd? You didn't open any brake lines, right?
Yes. I simply removed the 4 Torx screws holding the module down and lifted it off. There's no need to remove any lines to take the EBCM off.

When you remove the EBCM it only exposes the solenoids of the ABS pump. From the videos I saw, it didn't seem like anyone had to worry about bleeding anything after EBCM replacement.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I simply removed the 4 Torx screws holding the module down and lifted it off. There's no need to remove any lines to take the EBCM off.

When you remove the EBCM it only exposes the solenoids of the ABS pump. From the videos I saw, it didn't seem like anyone had to worry about bleeding anything after EBCM replacement.
You wouldnt normally need to unless the system was opened up intentionally or unintentionally. Dangling the manifold by its brake lines likely put a stress on the double flare fittings and their seats on the manifold causing a leak and air to get into the system. Getting air in at the manifold is the worst place to have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts