Camaro SS, track trips, build pics etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I can almost see some light at the end of the tunnel.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote red for the tubing to have the continuity from the original frame. But then black or silver would contrast and say "I'm custom". Hmmm...

Any numbers on net weight savings?

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I already hauled the front frame off to scrap and didnt weigh it. Based on my bicep meter i estimate it to weigh 50 pounds (mine was trimmed and will be lighter then stock). Ive also seen someone else say they weighed it to be around there (65) also. New metal I figure all said and done i will add 15ish back on. So total savings "should" be in the 45-50 pound range.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This first pic is off RSMs facebook page. I thought some would find it useful.
1_zpstdwelkd7.jpg
Got the main hoop made and some simple flat bar brackets welded on to hold the intercooler. The 90 degree bends here are stainless and were found on ebay for 20 bucks. No way I could have made a bend that nice so I decided it was ok to buy/use these.
2_zpsyu6zgtnd.jpg
The intercooler has been flipped where the outlets are up top. With 90 degree elbows they just clear the main hoop, and are just under the headlights. I also made an extension on the main hoop to hold 5 tabs that support the bumper and have holes for the pushpins.
3_zpswdnipfkl.jpg
Hood latches, and the biggest tap Ive ever owned.

I cringed a little drilling through the hood. Not a lot but a little.
6_zpsdd0ch5fa.jpg
Some simple square tube and flat bar brackets for the hood latches. This was the first attempt. I realized the angle needed altered. These are welded on the main hoop.
7_zpsjzacizo6.jpg
Homemade lower radiator support. I am using the passenger side rubber donut but otherwise the radiator will be sitting on the square tubing. The metal on the top and bottom of the radiator is fairly thick and by distributing the load over the entire area should not have any rubbing issues.
8_zpslujbvim4.jpg
Here's the radiator sitting on the lower support. Im keeping it as close to straight up as possible for turbo clearance. Here I'm checking hood clearance. Zip ties are your "little helper".
9_zpsfhee7vek.jpg
Upper radiator bracket made and fans mounted and back on the rear as they were stock. One bolt and the entire radiator comes out, yeeeah. Again, square tube up top and across to distribute load.
11_zpsjvxrx10j.jpg
Another look.
10_zpsdxqavq8i.jpg
And Im done for the weekend. This is way more work then I originally thought. I "hope" my next update will be a road trip and a roll cage on a trailer. We shall see.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diggin the fab work!

Bicycle inner tubes are a cheap and easy insulator for between the rad and support. I know it's a race car, but I also know it doesn't idle like an LS400. Then there's the whole possibility of galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% agree, the lack of padding has been on my mind. I believe both surfaces will be painted, and if things keep going as they have been, and about 100 miles a year being put on the car, I think it will be fine. The inner tube is a clever idea. I just may use that or something similar.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% agree, the lack of padding has been on my mind. I believe both surfaces will be painted, and if things keep going as they have been, and about 100 miles a year being put on the car, I think it will be fine. The inner tube is a clever idea. I just may use that or something similar.

I used some inner tubes between a fuel tank and it's straps. For a radiator setup, I'd go with something like this from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-Auto-and-Marine-Weatherstrip-01033/100175299.

It's a bit higher caliber than the inner tube idea so it's better-suited for your build. It would absorb the vibes much better than in inner tube to prevent cracking the rad.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top and bottom ledge of the radiator are pretty stout. I wont have anything touching the endtanks or core section.

PoPoPPV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rippin' thru it! There's nothing like doing the work yourself, even when its the 1st time you've attempted something, crazy satisfying feeling!! :grd:

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update: Hood safety release handle is reinstalled, fenders/bumper are braced, headlight mounts are done, catch can and radiator over flow have mounts. Everything was test fit before disassembly. Radiator and fans have been cleaned and painted. I tried out some Rustoleum brush on paint. I may go back and do this red, haven't decided. I got the call, roll cage and wheel tubs pick up on Tuesday.......so that means, road trip finally!!
20180531_170125_zpsqgcvjvyp.jpg
20180531_200243_zpssor1wx88.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon

Latest posts