Camaro SS, track trips, build pics etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the coolers, i thought i bought a matching one in size but it turns out it was about 1/3 bigger. Oh well, they fit. The new one is in the center and notice the Ys on the framerail. I changed to black nylon hose and will be buying that from now on, that stainless mesh line is shit, pokes the heck out of your fingertips.

20171101_180223_zpsa1fdpgab.jpg

My heel isnt even healed yet and now this. Always wear your gloves gentlemen.....sike I dont wanna die without any scars!!!! This cut was down into the meat LOL.

20171101_205944_zpshzdbgrje.jpg

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since my last update. Been building this for a buddy....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1886705-trans-am-l33-4l80e-78-75-build.html
Not much been going on with mine other then the usual crank up and maybe drive around the yard. Long story short, things appeared great (dont they always) and after bringing the motor to temp one day last week......the oil pressure dropped to 30. Checked the dipstick and yep, it had bearing material on it. It was time for some real soul searching. I chose not to replace engines every 15 miles!!! I also noticed the cylinder heads seemed dry (but no lifter noise). My conclusion is very obviously this motor, as well as the last one, has an oiling issue. But what is it, it eats bearings at 70 psi of pressure. After careful examination of the LS oiling system, Ive concluded the oil is being picked up and pumped at least to the sending unit at the rear top of the engine, but somewhere in the upper galley isnt making the pressure to force it up the pushrods OR down to the rods which are the last two things to get oil. I cant see the rods but if i can get oil to the cylinder heads the rods are getting it too. So how is 70 psi being lost so quickly, internal leak, front cam plate maybe. Once I realized I had installed a new cam plate I said lets keep it simple. You have an oiling system issue, you altered the oil pan/pickup, the oil pan has been on both engines. Lets reinstall a stock pan setup THEN go from there. Well when my buddy brings over a stock pan I look it over. Front of the pan is 5.5" deep, rear is 5", I estimate stock pickup clearance is 3/8"ish. I maintained height when i moved the pickup back :bang: So the pickup is literally laying flat on the pan floor if you subtract those measurements, which is causing massive cavitation. I opted to shorten the pickup i had instead of go back to a front sump. You can see how much i cut out here in this pic. I also upgraded to an ICT Billet turbo feed just because i liked the way it looked. And yeah its shooting oil out of the pushrods now :cool: Hope i caught it in time.
20171227_155701_zps8jt8drkx.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's hope the bearings won't wear any more and you just did a "speed break-in".

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, the motor was super healthy at 101k miles. It did shave the rods some due to the cavitation. I did cut the filter open and its not as bad as the last motors filters were, but there was no doubt an above average amount of bearing floating through the engine. I did the best i could, did NOT run it the minute i realized there was an issue until the issue was fixed. I cleaned out the oil pan to like new, and obviously replaced the filter and oil. Now, only time will tell.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's been on the back burner for a bit, other then the pickup tube repair, due to the turbo TA i was building for a buddy. But she went home Sunday so its time to get back on this car and get ready for some personal best springtime ETs. And we know these cars are never done right?
So I had a pretty nice interior in the car, sewed it years and years ago. It still looked new bc of how little I drive my car. As luck would have it I just happen to find someone local who was wanting to refresh their interior......so we struck up a deal. It's time to move on and let someone else enjoy it.
Here's what the guy bought, all 4 seats, and both door panels.
doorafter3.jpg
And here's how she sits today.
20180122_202601_zpsvghivccf.jpg
Not sure if you remember awhile back when i did the lexan windows, and the front and back glass was busted, but when pulling the seats out for the buyer i found this:
20180122_202636_zps0f7nou56.jpg
Whoops! Well I've got some clean-up to do. On the agenda: (in no particular order) 17" kirkey prostreet drag x2 with the black tweed covers, Wolfe aluminum door panels wrapped in carbon fiber 3m, a custom back seat delete including cutting holes in the floor and flattening it out, remove the passenger door bar which i never got around to doing, may replace that window motor also since its been in my tool box for about 4 years (works but its a little slow), ZR1 MAP sensor, and also gonna ditch the stock PS lines and make up new -6AN lines that route completely away from the hotside. Stay tuned, should be a fun little transformation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17