Cam Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which engine? 4.8,5.3,6.0,6.2 roll engine over with no valve train and trays hold lifters up. And you can change out cam. But old school small block remove intake to remove lifter.
You can do it this way and take your chances that a lifter doesn’t fall down but if it was me, I would do what I did and insert 1/4” steel rods through the oil gallery holes from the front of the block all the way to the back so you’re guaranteed the lifters can’t fall. And to get the lifters into the trays remove the rockers and pushrods, then spin the cam by hand quickly.

Edit: the rods need to be 5/16”, I just did the cam in my 08 Silverado and was reading up on this. I was under the impression the rods slid in under the lifters but in fact they slide in BESIDE the lifters into a groove. I’m not sure if the 1/4” is big enough, everybody said to use 5/16. But one of them won’t go in without grinding/ sanding it down a bit. I used an angle grinder to remove some material and then a DA sander to smooth it out until it slid in. IIRC it was the driver side one.

Last edited:

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can i torque down stock rockers all at once or does it actually really matter to put each one on base circle for intake and exhaust...or is it just easier to just do it all at once since there stock?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can i torque down stock rockers all at once or does it actually really matter to put each one on base circle for intake and exhaust...or is it just easier to just do it all at once since there stock?

It's not worth the risk. It only takes a few seconds to turn the crank with a ratchet between each bolt. If you took your time to do everything else correctly with a cam swap, what's two extra minutes to ensure you don't strip any bolts and ensure they're properly torqued? Hell, it took more time for you to write your post asking than if you had just kept that ratchet in your hand. lol

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not worth the risk. It only takes a few seconds to turn the crank with a ratchet between each bolt. If you took your time to do everything else correctly with a cam swap, what's two extra minutes to ensure you don't strip any bolts and ensure they're properly torqued? Hell, it took more time for you to write your post asking than if you had just kept that ratchet in your hand. lol
well im getting the car tuned right now and its pinging more some reason i do not know why probably starving on fuel n lean as hell but once i get it back im starting with the springs seals and pushrods then cam alittle later. but the main thing is i just need to know ive been trying to look that up just to be sure. now i know thank you

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im getting the car tuned right now and its pinging more some reason i do not know why probably starving on fuel n lean as hell but once i get it back im starting with the springs seals and pushrods then cam alittle later. but the main thing is i just need to know ive been trying to look that up just to be sure. now i know thank you

Ah. I thought you had already swapped the cam and were on the final leg of finishing up by reinstalling the heads, rockers, etc. and stopped at that exact point to ask. Made it seem like a big waste of time!

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im putting a 216 220 cam in with a 114 lobe speration. will that still chop loud or should i went with a 112lsa? i think i might of screwed up and im just trying to get it to chop hard at .550 low lift with a stage 3 trruck cam

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im putting a 216 220 cam in with a 114 lobe speration. will that still chop loud or should i went with a 112lsa? i think i might of screwed up and im just trying to get it to chop hard at .550 low lift with a stage 3 trruck cam

Just have your tuner not tune out the chop so much at idle.

Russ311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tunes done but now im trying to figure out why it makes this noise from 1 to 2 shift it sounds like its grinding from 6grand shifting to second going down to 3500rpm and it doesnt feel like a clunk or anything and no check engines are coming up. its confusin the hell out of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tunes done but now im trying to figure out why it makes this noise from 1 to 2 shift it sounds like its grinding from 6grand shifting to second going down to 3500rpm and it doesnt feel like a clunk or anything and no check engines are coming up. its confusin the hell out of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does it sound like the engine or transmission? Who did the tune, and did they tune the transmission or just the engine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts