Cam or Fuel system first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddie Rivera

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Suburban with the 5.3. I just bought a Magnason TVS2300 and a set of Speed Engineering headers. I'm getting ready to install soon but I have a question. I have about $3,000 available to me for some supporting mods. My question is, would you do the Cam first or upgrade the7 fuel system first? They will both cost roughly around the same amount. Figured, since the intake will be off, that I may as well do one of them at the same time. My intention is to eventually do them both.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the intended power ???

i would guess fuel, but that said...your maxxed NA power when graphed with stay the same curve just higher based on boost.

i would say if going for all out power, the cam would be needed...but for a strong driver, save the funds for now

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Whipple come with injectors?

You'll run out of fuel before you need a cam. IF you do the cam, you'll need more fuel.

On my NA build (heads/cam/Fast intake & full exhaust) I ran out of injector. With a blower your going to definitely going to need more fuel.

Heres what you can start with on the fuel system. Then you just need lines and a regulator if you going to do a return style system.......which you'll probably want with a boosted application.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/phantom-series-2005-2017-gm-truck-direct-drop-in/

The dual 450 set up is under $1100, so you have plenty of cash to finish it and tune it.

This is the unit I will go with; the dual 450s. Always buy more pump then you need, then you only pay for the labor or your time once. Your tuner with scale the fuel system in HPTuners more then likely.

Are you installing everything or a shop. The piece of information would be helpful to know.

OP
OP
Eddie Rivera

Eddie Rivera

Reaction score
what is the intended power ???

i would guess fuel, but that said...your maxxed NA power when graphed with stay the same curve just higher based on boost.

i would say if going for all out power, the cam would be needed...but for a strong driver, save the funds for now

OP
OP
Eddie Rivera

Eddie Rivera

Reaction score
Didn't really have an intended power goal. Just as much as I can get out of it. Lol. I think my main issue is just wanting everything at once without having the all at once budget. I did some baseline dyno pulls. I attached the graph.

dynorunShare_0.png

OP
OP
Eddie Rivera

Eddie Rivera

Reaction score
Did the Whipple come with injectors?

You'll run out of fuel before you need a cam. IF you do the cam, you'll need more fuel.

On my NA build (heads/cam/Fast intake & full exhaust) I ran out of injector. With a blower your going to definitely going to need more fuel.

Heres what you can start with on the fuel system. Then you just need lines and a regulator if you going to do a return style system.......which you'll probably want with a boosted application.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/phantom-series-2005-2017-gm-truck-direct-drop-in/

The dual 450 set up is under $1100, so you have plenty of cash to finish it and tune it.

This is the unit I will go with; the dual 450s. Always buy more pump then you need, then you only pay for the labor or your time once. Your tuner with scale the fuel system in HPTuners more then likely.

Are you installing everything or a shop. The piece of information would be helpful to know.

It's a Magnuson Supercharger. The kit is designed to be used with the factory injectors or can be upgraded of course. From what I understand, the factory fuel system is good to about 550 whp from what I've read.

Have you dynoed your truck with all of the mods?

Do you think an in tank fuel pump will make a difference without changing the injectors or High Pressure Fuel Pump?

I planned on installing the supercharger myself. The cam is a different story. lol I'm not sure I'm ready to take on that challenge. From what I've seen, it's a pretty intense install because of the AFM/DOD delete. So I think I would let the install of the cam and fuel system be handled by a professional. I can install the injectors and high pressure fuel pump, but I've never dropped a fuel tank or installed an in tank fuel pump.

I appreciate the help.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Magnuson Supercharger. The kit is designed to be used with the factory injectors or can be upgraded of course. From what I understand, the factory fuel system is good to about 550 whp from what I've read.

Have you dynoed your truck with all of the mods?

Do you think an in tank fuel pump will make a difference without changing the injectors or High Pressure Fuel Pump?

I planned on installing the supercharger myself. The cam is a different story. lol I'm not sure I'm ready to take on that challenge. From what I've seen, it's a pretty intense install because of the AFM/DOD delete. So I think I would let the install of the cam and fuel system be handled by a professional. I can install the injectors and high pressure fuel pump, but I've never dropped a fuel tank or installed an in tank fuel pump.

I appreciate the help.

Yes, my truck has been on the dyno several times to include today.

I ran out of injector/maxed out at 360whp @ 5900rpm. I had to go from #38 injectors to #50. For you to be safe, you normally don't want exceed your duty cycle past 80-85%.

The blower is a pretty straight forward installation wise..........but the cam and AFM/DOD delete is definitely more in depth and requires more tools/knowledge.

Injectors are an easy install, but there comes a point where you need more fuel pump too. Once you get into the fuel system......unless your a tuner, you will need to have your truck towed to the shop for tuning or you'll flood the cylinders with fuel.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump and injectors are below the intake. So before you install the blower you might want to change those out now if that is your plan.
The blower is a 2 person install. It's a tight fit on the 6.2L, and is heavy when lifting it into the valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins