Cam choice for 03 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an 03 Z71 from my brother, wanted something stock to make my own.

Stock 5.3 with a ton of miles. I plan on freshening up the top end and trans/etc, vette servo and custom tune after install.

Looking for a cam that has noticeable lope, good power down low/mid, and will work with stock stall. This will be an in-town street beater truck, very little towing if ever.

What do you guys suggest? BTR or TSS seem to be the most suggested routes.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the brand, I'd pick whichever has the better Black Friday deal coming up. For cam choice I'd strongly consider a 212/218 .500/.500 (AKA low lift) and if you want more chop-a-doodle-doo I'd get it cut on a 110lsa and add long tube headers. If your dead set on something bigger than the most well tested and proven 5.3 truck cams maybe a 216/220 low lift on a similar 110-112 LSA. But with an automatic trans and stock converter I would not go bigger than the 212/218 which will sound great and have more power everywhere.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an 03 Z71 from my brother, wanted something stock to make my own.

Stock 5.3 with a ton of miles. I plan on freshening up the top end and trans/etc, vette servo and custom tune after install.

Looking for a cam that has noticeable lope, good power down low/mid, and will work with stock stall. This will be an in-town street beater truck, very little towing if ever.

What do you guys suggest? BTR or TSS seem to be the most suggested routes.
Few things off the top here. Noticeable lope most of the time doesn't go with better low end. For an in town street beater go with the BTR Torque cam.
Second and this may be more important than the cam... what gears does it have?
Not sure what was available for the 03s, but even stock for stock a 3.73 rig will walk a 3.42 rig. So if you have crap gears, camming up will make it worse.

My Tahoe has 3.42s and if i was looking for more performance my first move would be 4.10s

I know it is an apples oranges comparison. But from personal experience, 2 std cab short bed 4.3 s10s one with 3.08s and one with 3.73s... the 3.73 truck had 3 lengths on the 3.08 truck at the 1/4 mile both launched in 4hi for traction.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the brand, I'd pick whichever has the better Black Friday deal coming up. For cam choice I'd strongly consider a 212/218 .500/.500 (AKA low lift) and if you want more chop-a-doodle-doo I'd get it cut on a 110lsa and add long tube headers. If your dead set on something bigger than the most well tested and proven 5.3 truck cams maybe a 216/220 low lift on a similar 110-112 LSA. But with an automatic trans and stock converter I would not go bigger than the 212/218 which will sound great and have more power everywhere.
Have you seen anyone advertising black friday sales for any?

I plan on adding long tubes, forgot that part. Also wanting to stick with stock heads for now, hopefully for the future as well haha. This is a definite budget build right now, just something fun to drive the kiddos around town in and sound good.

How do you like your cam? I know you're not an auto, so no stall to worry about.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually all the big names will post a sale the week off. I like my cam a lot! It’s a tad aggressive for an auto without a converter and it’s in a 6.0 so it tames the rowdiness a bunch. If I didn’t have worked over heads the .600/.600 lift would be pointless which is why I recommended the lower lift. If you go above .550/.550 you will need dual springs and a rocker arm upgrade. Or you risk breaking a spring like I did with the 212/218 .600/.600 cam I had in this truck before.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually all the big names will post a sale the week off. I like my cam a lot! It’s a tad aggressive for an auto without a converter and it’s in a 6.0 so it tames the rowdiness a bunch. If I didn’t have worked over heads the .600/.600 lift would be pointless which is why I recommended the lower lift. If you go above .550/.550 you will need dual springs and a rocker arm upgrade. Or you risk breaking a spring like I did with the 212/218 .600/.600 cam I had in this truck before.
Oh OK gotcha, I'll keep an eye out.

Looking like BTR is generally a more affordable route.

The tahoe has 297k miles on it so I'm planning on having to get new springs, push rods and probably lifters?

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Oh OK gotcha, I'll keep an eye out.

Looking like BTR is generally a more affordable route.

The tahoe has 297k miles on it so I'm planning on having to get new springs, push rods and probably lifters?
Probably lifters- um i sure hope thats in the budget with a new cam or it will be toast soon.I cant even imagine a new cam with 297,000 mile lifters

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they're in the budget. Guessing LS7 lifters and new hardened push rods, 7.4's?

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contacted BTR and told him what I was looking to do, he suggested the Truck Norris cam. Specs are 212/22X, .552/.552, 107 LSA. Haven't found much out there really since they're fairly new. A few sound clips and it sounds pretty gnarly, and he said it's designed for a stock stall with a good tune.

What y'all think?

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but after seeing how hard a time some guys here have with installing lt's on any 4wd setup...are they really worth the headache of an install for a mild engine build? Couldn't you use stock manifolds with an off road y-pipe and no cats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne