Cam and converter supporting mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmoney15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a BTR stage 2 cam and their converter to install in my 2007 Tahoe. I know headers and full exhaust is ideal, but if I get the tune without those for now still should be good? Then I’ll add eventually

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stage 2 cam would definitely like a way better exhaust. I'd put that on the list
asap .. that cam "could" be a bit lazy down low depending on gears and actual usage

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a BTR stage 2 cam and their converter to install in my 2007 Tahoe. I know headers and full exhaust is ideal, but if I get the tune without those for now still should be good? Then I’ll add eventually

What kind of tune? If a custom, in-person tune by a reputable tuner, then it should be optimized for your current mods. They can't really guesstimate how the airflow will change with the higher-flowing exhaust to set the tune for it in advance. My guess is it'll be "fine" if you upgrade the exhaust after the cam, stall and tune. It just might not be optimal. How good the tuner is will determine how much difference there will be with the full exhaust. It's all probably nothing you'd feel except in the upper RPM.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that same cam in my 2012 XL Denali (6.2L) but ended up taking it out after a bad lifter tray caused a lifter to rotate and damaged it. I didn't like the lope as much as I thought I would, so I went back in with a Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam and am much happier with it. Significantly better towing performance and a smooth idle, and no need for a different stall on the converter. Cam Motion makes different versions of the same cam tuned for each engine (5.3 or 6.2), whereas the BTR cam is the same spec for all engines (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2). Just something to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts