Cadillac 1964 hydra-matic, need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Hi.

Do a desperate try here if someone have adjust the hydra-matic.
Did last year change out my support for the transmission because the old one was cracked and did get my driveshaft act like it was unbalanced.
After that my gear shifter did get a bit of in the scale there what's point out the selected gear.

Did right now adjust this on the rod but now my hydra-matic behave strange. The 2 gear and the D2 don't jump in and it's shift in hard the 3rd.
My guess here that is to hard set and needed to adjust it to smother but I don't understand the body shop manual I have. The old English just make me dizzy.
Help I really need some guide how to operate this. :D

Thanks.

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Hmmmmm gears are back and shift good but D2 do slip a bit when it shifts in, feels like something don't get put in right.

Fluid look super good and red don't smell or so must be something mechanical.
Did put in new A grade fluid and filter last summer.

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Make sure the shift linkage and actuator on the side of the transmission is tight and not wobbly. Not sure about the other. @mountie @PNW VietVet

Thanks. :)
Now I don't think I understand what you meaning? :)
The hydra-matic are totally mechanical controlled, by the TV-linkage. And it's connect to a lever on the side of the transmission.
The TV-linkage do get the command from the gas leaver on the carburetor. Like the kick down function but this operating the hole time.

I have no strange play anywhere and everything do work smoothly but not right.

Thanks. :)

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Maybe a draft from the Shop manual can clear something out.
Shouldn't be any copyright the book are from 1963, have seen people that make and sell copy's of this book. Yeah did by one also and the picture and quality are crap, did actually find one original on the Power big meet last summer.

Anyway hope someone can translate this in to something that a 3 year old could understand, maybe then I can understand and get it. :D

20200612_082243.jpg

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins