Cabin Air Filter-WHERE IS IT?????

Does a 2004 GMC Yukon have a cabin air filter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim414

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys.....I'm new to this forum. I have been on the Vette forum for years and decided I would come over to the SUV forum and hopefully find help.

I am attempting to locate and change the cabin air filter in my 2004 GMC Yukon. I looked for it over two hours yesterday. I cannot find it. :emotions122:

I removed the cover on the bottom area on passenger side (under glovebox). I cannot find that sucker. I have beeen told it is there.....but NO sign of it.

I even remove what appeared to be a mechanism with (2) wire connectors and a steel plate on it (looks like some kind of temp control unit). I saw the coils inside of the fan area. There was NO filter there.

Does this year Yukon even have a cabin air filter? It smells musty inside. It is not leaking water. I've owned this truck since new. Has 86k miles now. (it's NEVER given me any problems other than speedo breaking).

Please, someone in the know, please let me in on the secret!!!Thanks in advance. Tim in Texas :)

OP
OP
T

tim414

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
think they stop putting them in 03

edit:02 was the last year

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5120

Thank you sir.

AutoZone sold me a cabibn air filter.....idiots I say.....I have also been told it has fuel filter, but cannot locate it either.

Dam dealership says it does, while the next advisor says it does not......really makes me angry. They do not know their own vehicles.....

Also what is the steering piece that begins to ratltle and has to be replaced every 20k miles or so???? I have never been charged for it, they tell me it's poor design and have never charged me to rpl it. Some type of dust cover....when I hit bump it rattles like something worn out under front end....

I see here that you guys do lots tricks to your SUV's. Some of them really look mean and sick.

Maybe time to turn my attention away from C6 Z06 Vette and 'play' with my Yukon for a minute....!!!

Thanks again....BTW, I would like to update my SLT-2's stereo first. Any ideas guys....I like tunes.....

After that I would like to improve ride comfort....then maybe engine mods....I know their not LS7's, but would like for it to have more 'pep' as well. It has a 5.3L engine (flex fuel). 3.73 rear w/towing pkg. Any way to improve it's fuel economy without suffering power loss?

Thanks in advance. :thumbs:
Tim

Last edited:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 does not have a fuel filter outside of the tank. I am not sure what year they started that, but it seems like this is more and more common. If you do have a fuel filter, follow the fuel line from the tank to the fire wall, it is on the driver's side.

OP
OP
T

tim414

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2006 does not have a fuel filter outside of the tank. I am not sure what year they started that, but it seems like this is more and more common. If you do have a fuel filter, follow the fuel line from the tank to the fire wall, it is on the driver's side.

My '03 does not have one.

Thanks....I've found that 2003-2006 does NOT have either a cabin air filter OR a fuel filter outside of fuel tank. Then the bodies changed and totally redesigned.

Thanks for the info guys.

Next, what to do to update the stereo system????? BTW, I like your wheels....my '04 Yukon is completely stock. Going to chnge that. I have been playing around with my Vette (IMO she's sweet I might add and scary FAST) but I think it's time to update my Yukon....I love that truck and had it since new. I drive it part time now and drive Vette the other time. Yukon used to be my DD until I bought my first Vette back in '09.

Anyone whose updated their stereo system or has exp with this....pls give me some pointers what speakers and head units.....she presently has the stock Bose system still there. I do NOT want to part with XM radio as well. Thanks
Tim

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....I've found that 2003-2006 does NOT have either a cabin air filter OR a fuel filter outside of fuel tank. Then the bodies changed and totally redesigned.

Thanks for the info guys.

Next, what to do to update the stereo system????? BTW, I like your wheels....my '04 Yukon is completely stock. Going to chnge that. I have been playing around with my Vette (IMO she's sweet I might add and scary FAST) but I think it's time to update my Yukon....I love that truck and had it since new. I drive it part time now and drive Vette the other time. Yukon used to be my DD until I bought my first Vette back in '09.

Anyone whose updated their stereo system or has exp with this....pls give me some pointers what speakers and head units.....she presently has the stock Bose system still there. I do NOT want to part with XM radio as well. Thanks
Tim

Thanks! You and I need to talk more. You have an '04 Yuk?

My '03 DOES have a fuel filter along the drivers side frame rail.

Wheels are the easy part. I can give you some good ideas for updating your stereo as well (I don't sell anything, don't worry. LoL! I just don't have the time to post up right now.)

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 was the last year for the cabin filter.

I believe the fuel filter went away midyear in 04 models.

indohoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you sir.

AutoZone sold me a cabibn air filter.....idiots I say.....I have also been told it has fuel filter, but cannot locate it either.

Dam dealership says it does, while the next advisor says it does not......really makes me angry. They do not know their own vehicles.....

Also what is the steering piece that begins to ratltle and has to be replaced every 20k miles or so???? I have never been charged for it, they tell me it's poor design and have never charged me to rpl it. Some type of dust cover....when I hit bump it rattles like something worn out under front end....

I see here that you guys do lots tricks to your SUV's. Some of them really look mean and sick.

Maybe time to turn my attention away from C6 Z06 Vette and 'play' with my Yukon for a minute....!!!

Thanks again....BTW, I would like to update my SLT-2's stereo first. Any ideas guys....I like tunes.....

After that I would like to improve ride comfort....then maybe engine mods....I know their not LS7's, but would like for it to have more 'pep' as well. It has a 5.3L engine (flex fuel). 3.73 rear w/towing pkg. Any way to improve it's fuel economy without suffering power loss?

Thanks in advance. :thumbs:
Tim

The cabin filter is under the glove box . You have to remove the plastic shield then there are 2 shiny screwes holding the filter cover on . There are 2 cabin filters in there . Also the rattling you hear from the front in is most likely your pitman and idler arms . About 500 to fix it with an alignment .It's the weak link for the tahoe but no too pricy to fix.

Brownie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok here is my recomendation..

I searched online high and low, and this blog was most confusing..

I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL, trying to replace cabin air filter due to unsual smell from ac and never done it in 100k miles.. good idea right..?

Napa Auto parts sold me the filter called for my vehicle, but no sign of access panel under glove box to remove and replace filter.. SO I called the dealer parts dept. where he asked for my VIN # and informed me that this particular model does NOT have a cabin filter that can be changed, the air box is one complete unit sealed and no way to open.

My recomendation is to call the dealer parts to find out for sure if your VIN matches with what you need, 2 min phone call really! vs. 2 hours searcing online and watching youtube videos. I love youtube by the way, there is alot of good stuff on there for vehicle repair for the doit yourselfers.. good luck

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan