Cabin Air Filter Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those of you that have the cabin filter removing and reinstalling this kick panel / cover every filter change? Or does it go to the extraneous parts bin?

View attachment 274115

I kept mine.

It is not only cosmetic and protective but also helps reduce noise from the blower motor.

You can take the 2 screws out that are easily accessible and drop it down and out of the way to change the filter without having to mess with the third screw behind the console... just FYI.

I only put two screws back in thecopcar. Right now it’s just sitting in place in theothertwin, since I think I need some actuator attention.

I don't recall removing that kick plate to install the filter. Maybe, my mind is failing me here.

I put mine back in including that hard to access third one. I just pulled the carpet back for better access, then slid it back under. It’s still hard and I envy those of you who can leave it out. There’s another one that comes to mind- the passenger rear on the coil pack that is tempting to say f it but I install it every time too. I can’t leave parts off. Joseph I’m pretty sure you would remember R&R’ing that panel, it’s not easy.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I put mine back in including that hard to access third one. I just pulled the carpet back for better access, then slid it back under. It’s still hard and I envy those of you who can leave it out. There’s another one that comes to mind- the passenger rear on the coil pack that is tempting to say f it but I install it every time too. I can’t leave parts off. Joseph I’m pretty sure you would remember R&R’ing that panel, it’s not easy.

We never even removed the hard to get to screw behind the console. Just removed the other two. There is plenty of flexibility in that panel to just drop it down out of the way.

So mine still has all 3 screws in place.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Mine has 4 screws; maybe because there’s no center console in the SSV. The kick panel goes across the transmission tunnel.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Mine has 4 screws; maybe because there’s no center console in the SSV. The kick panel goes across the transmission tunnel.

Mine have 4 as well.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Mine may have 4 as well, I can't be certain since I never tried to get to the ones behind the console... lol

I just assumed there were 3 like Mark said. Or maybe the trucks without a console run a different lower panel.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score

Mine may have 4 as well, I can't be certain since I never tried to get to the ones behind the console... lol

I just assumed there were 3 like Mark said. Or maybe the trucks without a console run a different lower panel.

Nah, I never thought it was misleading, just different. I’m pretty sure Chevy used a different part on the ones with the console delete option. I believe if there were 2 screws hidden behind the center console you would feel it when you’re dropping it down for a filter change.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
After wrapping it up, I’m pretty happy with the Dorman kit. Nice filter, good cover plate and gasket.

The only fly in the ointment is the cover screw. Some idjit specified a 1/4” SAE screw when all the GM fasteners are 7mm. Next time I’m in the junkyard I’ll get a 7mm and rectify that at the next filter change.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They do. I installed a console instead of the jumpseat in my 08 Silverado and had to cut the portion of that panel that used to go behind where the console now is. It included one screw hole iirc.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a new cabin filter element, and I thought that it was a good time to test my memory on the procedure for changing the cabin filter element on my 07 Yukon XL Denali. I had previously stated that I did not recall there being a plastic kick plate that needed to be removed first, before accession the cabin filter slot. WRONG (yet again). There is a black plastic kick plate that needed to be removed, before gaining access to the cabin filter slot.

So, the procedure that I used is as follows....

1. Remove a small vertical interior colored plastic trim piece just below the center console on the right side of the center hump, that partly blocks the left-most part of underside of the black plastic kick plate that needs to be removed to access the cabin filter slot. The trim piece has 2 metal snap in connectors. Maybe you don't need to remove this trim piece, but I did, thinking that I would need to entirely remove the black plastic kick plate to access the cabin filter slot.

2. The black plastic kick plate has 3 7mm socket screws attaching it to the underside of the plastic blower housing box. Remove the right-most screw and the center screw, and then pull and rotate the black plastic kick plate back and to the left to provide access to the cabin filter slot, without needing to remove the left-most screw. This is good, as there is very limited clearance available between the black plastic kick plate and the center hump, to get a socket and drive into, in order to access that screw.

3. Remove the 7mm socket screw holding the plastic retaining plate to gain physical access to the cabin filter element and take down the plastic retaining plate.

4. Pull down the cabin filter element. You will need to bend the cabin filter element to the right as you pull, in order to stop it from grounding out on the floor.

To install a new cabin filter element, repeat the above steps in reverse order. Note that my cabin filter element has 2 white fabric pull tabs on one end, which need to be on the bottom of the filter, and hanging down, when installing it, in order to use them to pull on in order to make the removal of the cabin filter element very easy, the next time that you change it.

Last edited:

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a replacement filter for my new to me 2012 and was quite surprised to find it did not have the filter option. Box is clearly molded as if it was an option.

Ordered the retro kit and will make the mod next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins