Cabin air filter retro fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen the other threads that people have done the retro fit on the 03-07 NBS and was curious if anyone had done it on a NNBS? I would like to put one in my avalanche because I have terrible allergies.

neutube

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I have NOT done this!!!
but others have from what I can tell and apparently the 04 and 08 have the same setup in the hvac unit except no door and added "ribs" inside. from what I understand you need to remove the initial hvac cover get two 02 filters, use a dremel and cut out the original door bottom dimensions, cram the two filters up there and then seal it up air tight (maybe with foil tape) - the guy who originally made the kits stopped for money reasons
I'll wait for others to chime in as I'm not going to start hacking under the dash just yet...

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?/topic,57221.0/all.html
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145137&page=3

Attachments

• CutOut.jpg
    CutOut.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 194
  • cover installed 3.jpg
    cover installed 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 195

Chrisalecia

Reaction score
I did it on my 2010 Tahoe. It works great. Tony's links are what I used. It's a simple mod. I used my fein multitool for the cut. Just make sure you don't cut too far back. It should be a little wider than one filter. So you push one filter in and slide it back then slide the second filter in. Use cardboard from the box or a vinyl blind from a trashed shade to slide the second one in. The filters have a fabric on them that makes it hard to slide against each other.

I did it to get rid of the musty cabin smell. Use the Frame filter with the carbon in it - works great. I got flat stock aluminum at the Depot.

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I had read the threads with others doing on 03-07 just hadn't seen it on any nnbs. Chrisalecia do you have any pics of yours? And thanks for info and links

Chrisalecia

Reaction score
So it did clean up the smell of the interior? I get a musty smell from time to time.

It helped the musty smell a lot but didn't get rid of it totally. I want to get one of those cans on spray to clean it out. I also read someplace you can install a relay that makes the blower stay on for a t time after you turn the vehicle off to dry everything out.

Kenric

Reaction score
What is the part number of the cabin filters we need? I think I am going to try this in my '13 Denali.

Chrisalecia

Reaction score
Awesome. I had read the threads with others doing on 03-07 just hadn't seen it on any nnbs. Chrisalecia do you have any pics of yours? And thanks for info and links

I didn't take a pictures but the 2 photos that Tony posted is exactly what mine looks like. I do remember seeing other photos online - if you search you may find them. It's an easy mod. It took me probably 2 hrs total and I took my time (measure twice cut once!!!!).

I'm glad I did it I think it has helped my allergies. Pollen is off the charts by me right now and the filters do make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne