Bypass front autoride shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wfburton159

Reaction score
I am writing this so people have an option besides spending easily around $500 for OEM replacement autoride front struts. My dealership quoted me just under $1000.

My 2007 GMC Yukon has the autoride suspension. The front struts were starting to leak oil. I found a cheap set of struts on craigslist and picked them up. They were the non electronic struts. When the vehicle was sitting in the garage I unplugged the electric connection to the top of the strut and measured the ohms of the strut. It was 2.2 ohms. I then went to ebay and bought these resistors because they looked heavy duty and were plenty big for the application. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370550985834?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If you replace the struts with non electronic versions you will need to install the resistor to make sure no warning lights come on. I cut the factory plug off of the vehicle side and soldered the resistor in place. So far so good with about 3000 miles with the resistors. Saved me huge money.

Not sure if anyone had done this before but this is how I bypassed the factory autoride strut on the front of my 2007 GMC Yukon.

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI eBay links do not last forever. It would help if you updated your post with the full specs on the resistor instead of just an eBay link.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Just FYI eBay links do not last forever. It would help if you updated your post with the full specs on the resistor instead of just an eBay link.

Good point. The resistor I used was a 100 watt 2.2 ohm 12 volt resistor.

toddphilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am writing this so people have an option besides spending easily around $500 for OEM replacement autoride front struts. My dealership quoted me just under $1000.

My 2007 GMC Yukon has the autoride suspension. The front struts were starting to leak oil. I found a cheap set of struts on craigslist and picked them up. They were the non electronic struts. When the vehicle was sitting in the garage I unplugged the electric connection to the top of the strut and measured the ohms of the strut. It was 2.2 ohms. I then went to ebay and bought these resistors because they looked heavy duty and were plenty big for the application. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370550985834?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If you replace the struts with non electronic versions you will need to install the resistor to make sure no warning lights come on. I cut the factory plug off of the vehicle side and soldered the resistor in place. So far so good with about 3000 miles with the resistors. Saved me huge money.

Not sure if anyone had done this before but this is how I bypassed the factory autoride strut on the front of my 2007 GMC Yukon.

Just wanted to check and see if this is still working OK for you. We installed the bypass resistors on our 05 Suburban about 2 months ago, and all was fine for a while. Now recently we're getting the ABS light on and Service Stability Control messages. Not sure if it's related to the bypass kit or not. FYI - we only installed them on the front shocks. We kept the rear autoride setup OEM for the moment.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
This has worked for me for over 2 years with not a single issue:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48518

May want to sticky this:

25 Watt, 3.9 Ohm resistors work perfectly for bypassing Autoride on 2007+ SUV's. I chopped off the connector and soldered the resistor across the two wires, then heatshrunk. Doesnt matter what side attaches to what. No error messages.

Now you can put any shocks on without "Service Suspension" messages, and youre only out about $10.

You can purchase them here

Works for pre 07 vehicles too.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
The 100 watt 2.2 ohm ones I installed are still working perfectly. I cut the connector off and soldered and installed heat shrink on the connections. That is what I did for the front struts.

The rear shocks were air ride and the bladders were torn up so I replaced them with ARNOTT air shocks that have the electrical connector on the shock so it's a direct replacement. Right away I had a service stability control message or something like that. That was a connector that had come loose on the passenger side rear right above the frame rail near the top shock attachment bolt. You can't even see the connector from below but you can feel it. Must have bumped it during the removal of the rear top shock bolt.

Then just a few weeks ago we started getting a service suspension light in the dash display. The truck was also handling bad and had a shimmy in the front end and shook the steering wheel at all speeds.

We have an extended warranty plan and we took it in to figure out the service suspension light and the shimmy in the front.

They didn't say a thing about my resistors that I installed and found that one of the new ARNOTT rear shocks had a short inside so it needs to be replaced. Luckily ARNOTT's warranty is great so a new one is on the way.

The shaking ended up being a bad tire and a broken control arm and loose ball joint.

Long story but the resistors work perfect to bypass the electronic suspension for the front struts. And I don't think anything with the suspension components will set off the stability warning light. The stability control ties in with the wheel speed sensors and stuff.

BigBen32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Did you have any computer issues with the rear shocks being air still? I am installing my socks with the bypass sensor but want to leave the rear as is.
Thank you

BigBen32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you have any computer issues with the rear air shocks staying stock? I only want to convert my front.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Did you have any computer issues with the rear air shocks staying stock? I only want to convert my front.

You won't have any issues.... the rear will still function as designed.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were the RPO codes for your auto ride, if you have them handy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins