Buying Used Denali XL?, What pitfalls to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in. BULLITT65, there is a bulletin about the taillight. Mine was doing the same- off and on. They replaced it for free out of warranty.
Issues my truck came with initially was a glitchy center display- bad cable. Clunking torque convertor; sometimes makes quite a bang releasing while traveling down a hill- never fixed. Squeaking front suspension- after 30k miles finally decided to change front suspension bushings- fixed. Takes a while to engage drive after shifting out of reverse especially during cold temps- never fixed.
The OE tires are horrible FWIW. So I'd say any used Denali should have replacements on it.

I never encountered the booming as many do. It does make an odd sound that can hurt your ears with the sunroof open. But many large SUV's do that. The back of these things is like a huge cave. Crack a rear window and it goes away.

The AFM is horrible as in several GM vehicles I have owned. I would highly recommend the BB tune to eliminate it. I didn't notice any lack of mpg savings for my style of driving by doing so.

Mine just started a weird vibrating in in the past 3 months which may be the drive shaft. This should be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Besides all that...it is still my favorite large XL SUV. If I was in the market for a regular sized SUV (Tahoe sized), I'd probably test drive some different vehicles. Large SUV's are far and few from manufacturers. 'Regular sized' SUV's are much more competitive and plentiful.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in. BULLITT65, there is a bulletin about the taillight. Mine was doing the same- off and on. They replaced it for free out of warranty.
Issues my truck came with initially was a glitchy center display- bad cable. Clunking torque convertor; sometimes makes quite a bang releasing while traveling down a hill- never fixed. Squeaking front suspension- after 30k miles finally decided to change front suspension bushings- fixed. Takes a while to engage drive after shifting out of reverse especially during cold temps- never fixed.
The OE tires are horrible FWIW. So I'd say any used Denali should have replacements on it.

I never encountered the booming as many do. It does make an odd sound that can hurt your ears with the sunroof open. But many large SUV's do that. The back of these things is like a huge cave. Crack a rear window and it goes away.

The AFM is horrible as in several GM vehicles I have owned. I would highly recommend the BB tune to eliminate it. I didn't notice any lack of mpg savings for my style of driving by doing so.

Mine just started a weird vibrating in in the past 3 months which may be the drive shaft. This should be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Besides all that...it is still my favorite large XL SUV. If I was in the market for a regular sized SUV (Tahoe sized), I'd probably test drive some different vehicles. Large SUV's are far and few from manufacturers. 'Regular sized' SUV's are much more competitive and plentiful.

I agree, I think really there is only one other viable competitor at the moment, the Expedition Max. I'm curious what you think about it, as it appears that you have compared the XL Denali against available competition. It definitely doesn't look as good as a GM LWB (any model, in my opinion).

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Armada is not a lot smaller than the XL/Suburban. It’s 210” long so it’s in between a short-body and long body GM/Chev. Having said that, the Armada SL comes nicely equipped for what you pay and has tons of power and even th 2018 demos can be bought in the 50’s in Canada so probably cheaper in the US. I rented one last week for a wedding and we had 4 adults, a toddler in a car seat, 2 teens, and a bunch of wedding gear and we jammed everything in no problem. The only thing is the Armada doesn’t have CarPlay. The big plus is it’s made in Japan and is based on the global Patrol platform... my exepereince seems to be anything made in Japan in the BOF segment is a winner.

Too bad the Sequoia still hasn’t been updated and looks like you won’t be able to wait for the new Yukon/Tahoe platform.

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Couple comments............

The 2nd Gen Sequoia driver's seat doesn't fit my wife very well.....she's 4-10" and the seat base is too long for her legs, it hits mid calf and gives her an awkward driving position. Also doesn't have much space behind the 3rd row.

At one time we had a '15 QX80 which is the same as the 2nd Gen Armada.......beautiful vehicle, Japanese built on the Patrol chassis, silky smooth drivetrain.....3rd row legroom is tight, cargo room is very tight. My dad actually has a 17 Armada Platinum and has offered it to us for his payoff at any time we'd like it......but that tight cargo area is our main sticking point.

Land Cruiser/LX570 has no 2nd row captains (making egress into the 3rd row clumsy) and even less cargo room.

The MB GL-Class has decent specs, but in real life it's nowhere near as big. Durango is the same story..........

In all reality, it's either a LWB GM SUV, or an Expedition MAX which is a beautiful ride but being a brand-new-model, there isn't any supply of used ones, and I'll be darned if I'm going to spend 60+k on a new one.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Expy El is about it. Of course you have the Cadi and Navi if willing to spend another $15-20k.
Ford makes a good product. But i find most of their vehicles lifeless. Nice but boring. No real edge.
My Denali was far from perfect. But imo, the best in its (limited) class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Yeah, the Expy El is about it. Of course you have the Cadi and Navi if willing to spend another $15-20k.
Ford makes a good product. But i find most of their vehicles lifeless. Nice but boring. No real edge.
My Denali was far from perfect. But imo, the best in its (limited) class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, they all have issues for sure.

There’s basically nothing in the “XL” class other than the GM triplets and the Expedition MAX.

Even the most lifeless of them is more exciting than the 2010 Town & Country She’s driving around for the summer LOL!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jettix2

Reaction score
Ok. More questions.

She wants something soon.

I live in a town of 800 people in Northern lower Michigan. Nearest GM dealer is 50 miles away, and we normally have to travel 300+ miles to buy vehicles to get any selection and reasonable prices.

I’ve bought 8-9 vehicles from out of state, sight unseen, from franchise dealers, over the years, and had them shipped to me.

This one can’t be done that way, unfortunately, because I can’t risk getting one that buffets/vibrates/etc.

She REALLY wants an XL GM SUV but all these issues really turn me off. How prevalent are the issues? Hearing folks talking about driving 8-9 of them before finding a “good one” scares the beJeesus out of me.

I’d buy a nice ‘14 in a heartbeat if she wansnt so set on the newer body style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore