Buying used...any input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Look for the unicorn since it’s a buyers market. 2009 Yukon XL Denali. 2WD or AWD. It has the 6.2L non AFM motor with flex fuel and loaded includes new goodies like heated/cooled front/rear buckets, bt, 2nd & 3rd row DVD screens, updated navi, side blind zone alert and a few more. The stock HP jumps up from 380 to 403 starting in 09.

It still has the bulletproof 6SP Auto w/ overdrive. If you look hard enough you can find one under 100k and get a service contract (S/C) that will cya on the known heavy labor repairs that come up. Our S/C paid out over $12k in repairs and rentals for a $3,750.00 on our 08 Denali XL AWD from 96k mi.

The national haps on the 2009 market.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...Records=25&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in the market for a Denali XL or Suburban. I’m looking for one that is fully loaded. My wife is set on second row bench as opposed to buckets which are hard to come by. I found a 2 owner pearl white 2011 with 135,000 that appears to be nice from the pictures I saw. It is listed at $16,400. I also found a single owner 2013 black one with 180,000 miles listed at $15,500. Anybody have any input? Also, what should I look for when looking at these as I have never bought GMC.
really 15.5K go shoot the guy asking that much I would not pay more then $3-5,000
180k is pretty much EOL

for 15.5k look in So-Cal for one

you will get a nice low mileage one for 15.5k

SUVs are cheap here I scored a 6.0L v8 for 10.5k with 84k miles 2008

look in San Bernardino,ca. gas is almost 5$ per gallon out there still SUV will be cheap..

I buy SUV cheap from people who could not afford the gas price (does not bother me since I get better MPG then my old car & have a smaller toyota car to use as well..)

I found a very nice one here for 2012 tahoe LT $$16k with 56k miles
https://www.norcoautoland.com/vehic...tahoe-lt-suv-9541f8c83981f84c902a332537ac0712

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thread started w/ owner looking for ride in OH. These things take time. After purchasing a 1 owner 08 AWD Denali XL 12-2014 from a dealer for $19.5k I realized I got really lucky for a 96k mileage truck.

It has piston slap that’s typical of some GM motors w/ carbon build up. It likely scared the owner to trade it in. Dealer left all DMV trade ppwk in glovebox after purchasing it. They grossed $3k on it bcs it sat for months at a Mopar dlr in diesel country.

Piston slap almost got me to return it, but thought it better to get a service contract (S/C). The Dealer offered a S/C after purchase for $3.75k. It was extensive and went 4Yr/48k. It showed a formula that you can save w/ private party purchases and indy mechanical inspections prior to a purchase or purchase from a Big 3 dlr (Non Ma Pop Dlr) paying cash, finance w/ Credit Union or ANYthing but dlr’s finance dept.

A 3 or 4 yr S/C will get u dealer service on the heavy driveline stuff that must be corrected. You know it’s coming at you. Cheap seals that cost $5h a pop to replace, motor mounts, a/c, coolant components. Dlr service means oem parts w/ 1yr or lifetime war. After the S/C pays more than you paid for it, time to have a good indy tech take over.

Tell them u have the S/C and hand them a copy of it. Tell them to inspect everything that’s covered and replace it. Always ask key question b4 repairs begin: “while it’s apart is there anything else in there you can address to save $ later.” The Indy tech wins, you win and you end up w/ a used truck that doesn’t leak a drop and maybe end up w/ a new motor, trans or a/c repair you would have sold the truck to cut your loss on w/o a S/C.

In 30k mile our S/C paid over $12k in repairs that came as normal wear & tear. Most of that was labor and all of the parts are AC Delco except for a gasket here or there. At 132k, we’re good for at least the 200k mark.

The formulation... Truck was $21.9k OTD in CA, $3.75k S/C, $1k for the 100k major service and $400 in S/C deductibles. Figure we’re into this 6.2L AWD loaded Denali behemoth for $14,871 after the S/C paid us back for parts and labor on unremarkable repairs. The clock has 132k now and total fuel consumption is 9865 gal. for an 11yr average of 13.38 mpg. There’s a lot of idle time in here picking up/drop off 3 kids daily @ school.

Take ur time & get a S/C that covers gaskets, a/c, electronics and the AFM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep