Buying out of State - Lemon Squad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdsuburb06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been looking for a used 2009-2013 Yukon or Suburban for some time and believe I found a vehicle out of Indiana that fits the bill. The dealership had mentioned they would take a non refundable deposit on the vehicle, and would allow for to utilize inspection services from a company called lemon squad to do a thorough independent inspection of the vehicle prior to me making the rest of the purchase price. I personally have never bought a vehicle sight unseen, and being over 13 hours away from where I live, I'm leaning towards paying them the $200 inspection fee. Has anyone ever used this company, or something similar to it? I have never heard of them before and just wanted to get anyone's opinion.
Thank you
Matt

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been looking for a used 2009-2013 Yukon or Suburban for some time and believe I found a vehicle out of Indiana that fits the bill. The dealership had mentioned they would take a non refundable deposit on the vehicle, and would allow for to utilize inspection services from a company called lemon squad to do a thorough independent inspection of the vehicle prior to me making the rest of the purchase price. I personally have never bought a vehicle sight unseen, and being over 13 hours away from where I live, I'm leaning towards paying them the $200 inspection fee. Has anyone ever used this company, or something similar to it? I have never heard of them before and just wanted to get anyone's opinion.
Thank you
Matt
How long has Lemon Squad been in business?

After 25 years in the automotive industry as an ASE certified master tech, it was time to create something that would reflect my experience in the field of automotive inspections as well as my vision for something bigger. In 2007, Lemon Squad was born.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A play on the name "Lemon Busters" that used to do the inspections in several states. You have to realize that when the dealer says they will take it to an independent company like that, it is no different than having their techs do the inspection. I hope it works out for you.

By the way, I used to do a three tier mobile inspection service like that and my company was called "Lemon Aid".

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you
Matt
Indiana? Is the truck from there? If so, she's going to be rusty underneath. Why not get one from down south or out west?

I've purchased multiple vehicles long distance and never used a service. I asked for and was given lots of photos and always have a budget to bring a new purchase up to our standards so a scratch, ding or tear is rarely a deal killer.

Can we look at your prospect?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've bought four vehicles that were "long distance." All had a purchase price over $20k.

Each time, I found a local independent shop on Google, and had them do a pre-purchase inspection. Don't use a place/company of the seller's choosing, you pick a place.

Get tons of pics, negotiate and settle on a price contingent upon satisfactory pre-purchase inspection, fly/drive out, get it inspected, complete the transaction.

If it's a new car dealer, you can be reasonably assured that they're playing above-board. If it's a small/independent used car dealer, I wouldn't go near it without a full inspection.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you
Matt
Is this dealership a Chevrolet-GMC or Cadillac dealership?

All this sounds sketchy IMHO. Especially having to take it to their Lemon Squad.

The only reviews I saw on Lemon Squad were from New York. It was half good and half bad. The good ones probably were family members of the Lemon Squad.

I for one would not buy a vehicle sight unseen. Everyone I know who bought a vehicle sight unseen had nothing but problems with it from day 1.

I would try to find something within a few hours from your location then have a good independent mechanic check it out or a good Mobile mechanic [with a 5 star rating] check it out.

With flood damaged vehicles everywhere you have to be extremely careful.

All that is just me. To each their own.

Reaction score
That would be a non starter for me. I've done longer distance buys ( I am in NY, and bought as far away as Virginia ( 400+ Miles ). Indiana is not a state I would get a car from without being able to see it. I left a 10% deposit, and paid the balance when I went and picked it up myself. This was after seeing about 100 high res pics. I've only done 1 where I did not see the car, and that was a Dinan Badged BMW wagon - wholesale price from a Caddy Dealer in Boston.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lemon Busters started in Texas, if I remember right. They were an independent business that the vehicle buyer hired and they worked on the buyer's behalf. Like @intheburbs and @Miami-Dade about the inspection, if the dealer offers to take to them for that inspection, that company is working for them. And like @swathdiver and @noodlesandsam2 said, that state uses salt on the roads and that rig is gonna be rusty. Go south or out here to the PNW for non rusty vehicles. It may be a farther travel but it will be worth it. I lived in KC, Mo. and dealt with rust for years in the shops. This is Nirvana here in the PNW with no rust.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Good move on buying what you want and expanding your search. I had to do the same to get a one year only 09 6.2L w/o AFM and flex fuel. My salesperson at the TX Lexus dlr referred me to a mobile inspection company. The $179 cost saved me another $1k. I drove it home to CA 15 min after I bought it.

Verify the obvious like rust. If it’s from a major dealer it lessens the probability of a bad faith sale.

Since you’ve got the smarts and good buying sense, I highly recommend 09 6.2L only to eliminate the gamble of AFM. It restricts you to Yukon Denali & Escalade only, but 09 is also the year 2WD or AWD was an option.

If your informed and aware of potential AFM issues then make the selling dealer include a service contract to cover the motor (in your state) for a few years. Keep up the good hunt!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread with both sides of the coin.....to each their own on the inspection. I agree with extra pics and if you know what you are looking for, good pics usually tell the truth. Short of a test drive and cold start which can be key indicators.

Living near Indiana, I would think twice if it's original to there. Guarantee it will be rusty, or covered up. I see that Era all the time on the Chitcago toll roads and they tend to be on the rougher side. If you are traveling 13 hrs, go down to OK, GA, CA, AZ, NV, TX, SC to get your best value on a clean vehicle.

Rust free is worth more than people know. I'll replace worn parts gladly before fixing rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons