buying 23 suburban LS diesel maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
Hey guys here is an update. I gave up trying to find a diesel even though I wanted one. The only two I had found sold before I could even try to buy them. I found a white z71 5.3 gas with the luxury package on the chevy site and put a deposit to hold it until it arrived at the dealer. I bought it yesterday. This tranny is so smooth compared to my 2010 and 2014 6 speed silverados. Those things clunked into gears so hard.

One funny thing is it has the following gap settings even though it doesn't have adaptive cruise. So the settings do nothing apparently. Kind of weird but whatever.
I had that exact confusion with the gap setting feature, I was told by the dealer it's for emergency braking.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that exact confusion with the gap setting feature, I was told by the dealer it's for emergency braking.
Has anybody ever actually witnessed and seen their vehicle brake hard for emergency braking? I have seen the red light flash, but I have never actually seen or felt the brakes engage.

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
Has anybody ever actually witnessed and seen their vehicle brake hard for emergency braking? I have seen the red light flash, but I have never actually seen or felt the brakes engage.
I've never tempted fate enough to try it.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, my burb began to self=brake when a vehicle I was safely following at 50mph drastically slowed to pull into a left=hand turning lane BUT not fully, about 1/5th of his ass was hanging out in my lane, although I had plenty of room to pass. I think I override the self=braking by mashing my accelerator.. it all happened so quickly.

Last edited:

drmoose

Reaction score
I had a 2021 LT sig 5.3, and lemon-traded for an equivalent 2022 diesel. Overall probably the best car I've ever owned. The 3.0 diesel is an awesome choice, quiet, not smelly at all, way more low-end torque. Just a great engine, IMO.

Right now, combined, I am getting about 24.4mpg, but generally get 28-32 on the highway, probably 20-23 in town. That's my experience anyway. I just filled up, while doing highway driving, and the range for the full tank was 715mi.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Ingeinge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it has emergency braking it waits way too long. I tried to test it a little bit but chickened out when it looked like I was going to rear-end people.

One thing I was disappointed in was the lack of auto hold, like where you can take your foot off the brake at stoplights and stuff. But I figured out you can push the e-brake button and then when you hit the gas it takes off the e-brake. The thing I wonder is if it keeps the brake lights on. I don't want to get hit doing it. Also hope this isn't using the e-brake too much.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My burb and hoe with 6.2L gassers and 10-sp 4wd tranny;s don't have a huge gotta-go/gotta-go when my foot is neither on the gas nor on the brake pedals, rather I can simply allow the ball of my foot to float in the air and my vehicles generally won't hardly creep forward.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I felt the brakes pulse when going over a steel construction plate. Saw the lights flash on the dash, felt the brakes pulse but then it let go as I had my foot on the accelerator the whole time.

Has anyone seen the pedestrian icon light up? A couple was walking their dog on the road and in the process of getting over to the other lane and suddenly it showed a pedestrian icon on my dash.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has emergency braking it waits way too long. I tried to test it a little bit but chickened out when it looked like I was going to rear-end people.

One thing I was disappointed in was the lack of auto hold, like where you can take your foot off the brake at stoplights and stuff. But I figured out you can push the e-brake button and then when you hit the gas it takes off the e-brake. The thing I wonder is if it keeps the brake lights on. I don't want to get hit doing it. Also hope this isn't using the e-brake too much.
I wouldn’t use the e-brake in that capacity. That’s a lot of cycles on a component not designed to be used that way and on top of that it does not turn on the brake lights so you’re likely to get rear ended by someone not paying attention.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When parking on slight inclines, or any reason why you would need an intermediary parking break, my park, light illuminates, and hold the vehicle right where I am. I have to tap the throttle to let it break loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut