Buying 2012 Yukon XL Denali... preventative maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akosi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm buying the vehicle from my parents who have always done oil changes and that's about it on vehicles. It has around 150,000 miles so I figure I'll do a transmission, transfer case, coolant, and brake fluid flush. I also will be doing the AFM delete and changing brake rotors and pads. What are some other things I should do as preventative maintenance? I'll be keeping the vehicle for at least 5 years is my guess.

Thanks

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the differential fluids also the front differential especially is bad about getting low on fluid. Fix any leaks, check out the suspension and replace anything worn, check the engine mounts. I’m hoping to get 10 years at least out of both of mine. The newer ones are far too expensive to fix and ride terrible compared to these so I think they’re worth putting money in. My 08 is bordering on a restoration at this point but it is such a nice truck.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the plugs and wires, if original, it is time. Also have a close look at the belts, if original, again, likely time.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check suspension items like sway bar bushings and end links. If the heater T's for the rear heat have never been changed, a good time to replace them is when you do the coolant and flush the heater cores.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm buying the vehicle from my parents who have always done oil changes and that's about it on vehicles. It has around 150,000 miles so I figure I'll do a transmission, transfer case, coolant, and brake fluid flush. I also will be doing the AFM delete and changing brake rotors and pads. What are some other things I should do as preventative maintenance? I'll be keeping the vehicle for at least 5 years is my guess.

Thanks
In addition to the items mentioned by the others, check the rear air shock rubber boots. Chances are they're torn/leaking and will need replacing.

By AFM delete, do you mean with a Range device or custom tune, or do you mean with a cam swap? Tuning it out is a better solution, in my opinion, having done the full cam swap on mine.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in addition to other things mentioned, heater hoses & "T"s, tensioner and pulley, maf sensor, 02 sensors (all 4).

Things to be prepared for in the near future: wheel bearings will be up soon, possibly fuel pump, evap canister & solenoids, water pump, radiator.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have the rear air compressor for the shocks? If so check those and the air compressor. You should hear it when you turn the key on it will run for about 10 seconds. Post a pic of the sticker in the glove box.

Reaction score
in addition to other things mentioned, heater hoses & "T"s, tensioner and pulley, maf sensor, 02 sensors (all 4).

Things to be prepared for in the near future: wheel bearings will be up soon, possibly fuel pump, evap canister & solenoids, water pump, radiator.
Is the MAF sensor a common problem? I've never replaced one, only removed and cleaned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345