Busted fresh air intake nipple?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matticus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, all. 2004 Tahoe z71, 5.3, got the dreaded reduced engine power tonight, but that is for another post.

While looking at the wiring tonight, I noticed the nipple from the intake right behind the TB that leads to the passenger valve cover was broken. I think this is the fresh air portion of the PCV system? I have no idea how long it has been like this, but now what? I could try epoxy. Gorilla glue? Silicone? I don't think this nipple can be replaced, so I don't know what to do and I hate the idea of replacing the entire intake over this. 20211129_224249.jpg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Visually it looks like a separate component. I’d go to the local junkyard and do some test removals on junkers to see if it’s removable without destroying the intake.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vacuum leak caused by it breaking may have contributed to your engine to running like crap.
If the individual part is not something you can get easily, I would try removing the broken piece from the hose and sliding the hose back on to what is left of the plastic elbow. Maybe with a small hose clamp to secure it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

matticus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The vacuum leak caused by it breaking may have contributed to your engine to running like crap.
If the individual part is not something you can get easily, I would try removing the broken piece from the hose and sliding the hose back on to what is left of the plastic elbow. Maybe with a small hose clamp to secure it...
I'm not sure that the vacuum line pulling fresh air into the crank case would cause reduced engine power and limp mode. I've no idea how long this has been broken, but it was tucked down against the side of the intake manifold and, for all I know, has been that way for a long time. It is still pulling air in, just not filtered air.

I believe the REP is caused by a ground problem, because I was getting other weird intermittent issues and this morning the warning is gone, truck runs fine. Only problem is that last night the CEL was on, and this morning the CEL doesn't even illuminate during the start up bulb check cycle, while every other light does as normal.

Unfortunately there isn't enough material left on the nipple/elbow to get a clamp over once I move the hose. I'm still debating some epoxy. It's a shame it didn't break further up. It's also a shame that these elbows are made of plastic and part of the intake. :/

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the vacuum line pulling fresh air into the crank case would cause reduced engine power and limp mode. I've no idea how long this has been broken, but it was tucked down against the side of the intake manifold and, for all I know, has been that way for a long time. It is still pulling air in, just not filtered air.

I believe the REP is caused by a ground problem, because I was getting other weird intermittent issues and this morning the warning is gone, truck runs fine. Only problem is that last night the CEL was on, and this morning the CEL doesn't even illuminate during the start up bulb check cycle, while every other light does as normal.

Unfortunately there isn't enough material left on the nipple/elbow to get a clamp over once I move the hose. I'm still debating some epoxy. It's a shame it didn't break further up. It's also a shame that these elbows are made of plastic and part of the intake. :/
Yeah. Just a thought... Sometimes you can get away with an easy fix you wouldn't have thought of trying, just by throwing ideas out there. They don't always work out, but sometime they do. I like the idea of epoxy or JB weld.

Since it is plastic/ABS, would ABS glue used for plumbing fittings hold it? With the cleaner solvent, then the glue. Maybe an option?

OP
OP
M

matticus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah. Just a thought... Sometimes you can get away with an easy fix you wouldn't have thought of trying, just by throwing ideas out there. They don't always work out, but sometime they do. I like the idea of epoxy or JB weld.

Since it is plastic/ABS, would ABS glue used for plumbing fittings hold it? With the cleaner solvent, then the glue. Maybe an option?
That might work better! I'm not entirely sure and I definitely want to do this janky repair correctly since I'm not in a position to afford a new intake manifold. :D

I appreciate your ideas!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that elbow looks like it should come out of the intake by just prying it out. dorman help section at the parts store might have something to replace it with.

thats a huge vac leak, can for sure make it run like crap. p0171 code for sure.

OP
OP
M

matticus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that elbow looks like it should come out of the intake by just prying it out. dorman help section at the parts store might have something to replace it with.

thats a huge vac leak, can for sure make it run like crap. p0171 code for sure.
I'll have to try to pull codes later. It has been running fine and no one has been under the hood in 2500 miles since the last oil change, which I did myself, so I can't imagine how long it has been broken. The hose was literally tucked under some other hoses as if someone tried to hide the fact that it was broken.

Problem though is that the CEL isn't on today. It was last night when I got the REP warning, but as soon as I limped it home and restarted, no light, no warning, and the CEL isn't illuminating during the bulb check upon startup now, which is weird. Bear in mind the gauges are off because I snapped this during the bulb check after turning the key on before starting. 20211129_230114.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9