Bushings for air shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfred Regis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!! My names Alfred, just picked up an 07 Denali and noticed a nice little clunk in the rear end. After doing an inspection of the shocks I noticed the bushings are toast. Is there anyway to just replace the bushings without having to buy a new set of shocks? Dealership quoted my like $500 for one shock, Rockauto has em for $182, still more than I'd like to spend especially if it's just the bushings that are bad. Looking to the forums for any insight on replacement bushings or advise. Thanks all!

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant find anything specific for the TYE, any year.

I think it would come down to finding maybe a universal kit..

I cant post a link.. But these look like a possibility? But I dont know for sure. Use at your own risk.

On Amazon, search
Energy Suspension 9.8138R Rear Shock Bushing Set

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all!! My names Alfred, just picked up an 07 Denali and noticed a nice little clunk in the rear end. After doing an inspection of the shocks I noticed the bushings are toast. Is there anyway to just replace the bushings without having to buy a new set of shocks? Dealership quoted my like $500 for one shock, Rockauto has em for $182, still more than I'd like to spend especially if it's just the bushings that are bad. Looking to the forums for any insight on replacement bushings or advise. Thanks all!
If the shocks are originals, you're better off buying new OEM shocks anyway, as the airbags and internal seals/valves are probably close to toast if they aren't already. Rock Auto is the best place to buy new OEMs and they're around $250 each. Lots of folks here like the Arnott replacement air shocks, which are rebuilt OEM and cost 75-100 less than new ones. But they only replace the air bladder and don't address any of the internals, so in my view they're not really a fix-and-forget solution like new OEMs are, though they do have a lifetime warranty.

Reaction score
But they only replace the air bladder and don't address any of the internals, so in my view they're not really a fix-and-forget solution.

Where did you get this info? On their website they say they're completely rebuilt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you get this info? On their website they say they're completely rebuilt.
From someone I trust here who'd investigated it and shared it when I replaced my rear shocks last year. I'll try to find the post. But note that they don't define what remanufactured means on their site anywhere that I can find. On the landing page for the AS-2708 they say:

Features:
Goodyear air spring sleeve
Sandblasted & painted to prevent rust
OE dampening & functionality
Easy-to-install detailed installation manual available

They don't say anything about new or resealed internals which would be a miss from a marketing perspective if it were true. If you can find a clearer explanation of precisely what they do in the remanufacturing process, it would be fabulous. I'm open to correction if my understanding is wrong.

Reaction score
From someone I trust here who'd investigated it and shared it when I replaced my rear shocks last year. I'll try to find the post. But note that they don't define what remanufactured means on their site anywhere that I can find. On the landing page for the AS-2708 they say:

Features:
Goodyear air spring sleeve
Sandblasted & painted to prevent rust
OE dampening & functionality
Easy-to-install detailed installation manual available

They don't say anything about new or resealed internals which would be a miss from a marketing perspective if it were true. If you can find a clearer explanation of precisely what they do in the remanufacturing process, it would be fabulous. I'm open to correction if my understanding is wrong.

Right in the beginning of the description...

"Arnott's completely rebuilt rear air shock for various GM models"

I guess "completely rebuilt" could be up to interpretation

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess "completely rebuilt" could be up to interpretation
Yes, I think that's right. In aviation, rebuilt has a specific meaning that's defined by Federal regulations. Not so in automotive, so there's lots of room for interpretation. When I was shopping, I looked everywhere for a clearer understanding of what Arnott means by rebuilt in this context, but came up short until the other TYF member who'd apparently done his homework, enlightened me. As a former marketer, I'm trained to listen to what's left unsaid, and it's rare that a company would spend a lot of time and money on a product, and not take every opportunity to tell you want they've done for you, the buyer. That Arnott doesn't elaborate on what they do beyond replacing the rubber boot and sand blasting the case, seems an unlikely omission, given that it would be a costly process worth telling us about.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnott has several options depending on what you want and what you want to spend. For their rebuilt OEM shocks, I too have heard their remanufacturing process involves testing the damping including the electronic parts if so equipped and it has to fall within a certain spec, whatever that is. Besides that they basically paint and install new air bladders which take most of the abuse in this kind of shock, and provide a lifetime warranty. The fact they probably don’t want to be replacing these along with the fact I’ve never heard of anyone having issues with them not working or lasting long leads me to believe it’s not an issue.

They also sell new shocks that don’t have the electronic damping. I believe there’s 2 models of those- a “value” part and a premium part. When I bought the ones for my 02 Denali several years ago their new premium one was manufactured by Bilstein but I don’t see that listed anywhere any so I assume Arnott took over that manufacturing. Both these models have a built-in resistor that you plug the harness into so you don’t get error codes. I don’t miss the auto damping but then it never worked when I bought the truck.

Arnott is a well known and respected company in the air suspension world. I first used their products on a Harley Davidson V-Rod I was building, great shocks. They just bought a major air suspension company that went bankrupt ( Accuair) and are bring their products back to market. I am only saying this so if you do buy any of their products you should be pretty certain they’ll be around if you have issues. I don’t know of anyone who has had issues that Arnott didn’t take care of right away, their customer service is great.

Anyway that’s my .02. Kinda a long post! :)

OP
OP
A

Alfred Regis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You guys are awesome!! picked up a set of AS-2708 from oreillys, $550ish total which includes a $25 core per shock and military discount so about 250each, installing this weekend, I'll let yall know if it fixes the clunkity clunking!!