Burst Oil Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floater

Reaction score
My upper oil cooler hose burst on the highway. I noticed the oil gauge dropping to zero and pulled over right away and the motor stalled. The temp never went above 100 degrees. I changed out the hose and filled it up and it fired right up. However there is now a light knock in the bottom end some where and the oil pressure gauge shows really high pressure. Can anyone point me in a possible direction? This motor was fully rebuilt with a high flow oil pump and new crank two years ago. I would hate to have to rebuild it again!!

I took another look and the oil pressure gauge drops to zero when it's not running and goes up to 375 when it's running so it seems the oil pressure sending unit is working. Prior to this it would max out around 290 and go up and down with the motor revs.

I checked for codes and there aren't any.

Would a plugged radiator oil cooler cause the oil pressure to spike like that and burst the hose? I will disconnect both oil cooler lines tomorrow and put them together with a hose and clamps to cut out the oil cooler and see if the pressure drops. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
I will answer my own question I guess. Motor shop said I have blown my crank bearings and main bearing but crank is in good shape. Also three pistons have been scuffed. Oil pump is also gone. Heads have heat marks on intake and exhaust valves but appear to be in good shape. Gonna be close to another full rebuild though with all the work so I just told them to rebuild it complete again. Say goodbye to the crappy oil cooler line set up. Getting the oil adapter and deleting all the future blow up my engine crap.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking reading your first post. I've had those lines burst before, the first time in my '82 Oldsmobile and the second time in my '86 Buick. The Olds had a diesel engine and caught it quickly enough that it didn't hurt the motor. After fixing the leak on the side of the road, all I had was a bottle of transmission fluid so in it went and then flushed it out after getting home.

The second time must've happened on the way to the drag strip. Car kept running faster and faster and temps were creeping up a little each time. Finally popped the hood and saw the problem. Tore down the engine the next day at my shop and noticed that absolutely no damage had been done. That motor was run with Mobil One.

The line in my truck is weeping a little more and after seeing your post I ought to quit procrastinating and get it done before the weather heats up.

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
I'm removing the oil cooler lines from my pick up truck as well. For 50 bucks I can protect the motor from blowing up.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Ugh that's rough man, sorry to hear.

HP/HV pumps are nice. I have one on my rig. But the downside is they put a lot more pressure on seals and any retaining clips. Whereas the stock oiling system caps out at 75psi ish, an aftermarket one can see 110 or higher. If memory serves, the oil cooler sees full oil pressure. Hard gaskets such as metal crush or rubber impregnated metal (NOT paper/rtv/other nonsense), proper surface prep, and threaded connections such as AN fittings are king! Quick connects have no place on these applications. Also don't neglect your oil filter. Get a sturdy one with a thick case and center tube. Mesh backed synthetic is the way to go here, IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Got the motor back. I basically got a full rebuild including new roller lifters this time. Only charged me 1500. I purchased the oil adapter and i'm removing the oil lines for good. Hope this makes this one last this time.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friggin sucks dude, you did well handling the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu