Burning Smell From Rear End Area After Cold Weather Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a strange burning smell that emanates form the rear of the the Yukon after the truck is warmed up and driven in the cold. Smells like rubber/plastic. Checked underneath and nothing is stuck or obvious. My old Tahoe did this to. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hot brake pads, leaking axle seal, leaking differential/pinion seal that's about it unless your brake light sockets are melting.

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, definitely not brakes. Might have to take a more involved look at the rear driveline/diff.

Daddio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Chris,
Be sure to tell us what you find.
My wife has been complaining about a burning smell in her Lincoln recently too. It started as soon as the cold weather came. I can't find anything either.
The County puts a solution of salt and beet juice on the roads (for melting the ice) and I'm wondering if that, spraying up onto a hot cat, is causing some strange smells ... but 'burning' ??

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When/how do you notice this smell? While driving? At a stop light? When you get out of it?

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,
Be sure to tell us what you find.
My wife has been complaining about a burning smell in her Lincoln recently too. It started as soon as the cold weather came. I can't find anything either.
The County puts a solution of salt and beet juice on the roads (for melting the ice) and I'm wondering if that, spraying up onto a hot cat, is causing some strange smells ... but 'burning' ??

Will do. The strange thing is my ‘13 Tahoe had the same issue and now the Yukon is doing the same thing. I’m guessing it’s something to do with a heat shield near the exhaust but I can’t isolate it. I’ll keep looking

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When/how do you notice this smell? While driving? At a stop light? When you get out of it?

I notice it when I get out and move to the rear of the truck. Getting fuel, opening rear hatch, etc. No smell in the cabin and don’t smell it when I’m near the front.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might narrow things down a bit. Could it be hot brake pads? My wife and 6 year old grandson comment about a burning smell when we get out at home but I’m backing down the driveway. I smell it sometime getting gas. If you’ve noticed on 2 separate vehicles from different years that may be it. I also noticed it more in cooler weather not sure why unless the rotors and pads are getting hot faster?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a similar, but more of a ‘burning brake smell’, whenever i get to my brothers house, my ‘01 and ‘13 did it but I have yet to take my ‘19 to his house so that truck is yet to be determined. My wife and kids all smell it and always around the passenger side rear. My bro lives about 25-30 minutes away about halfway up a mountain, to a gravel driveway and when i get there I normally turn around up by his garage this is the only time i smell it. Outside temp has no effect, its always there when we get to his house. Since 2 diff trucks of mine did it i basically wrote if off to something on his driveway or at his house. I park my trucks in the garage at my house and i have yet to smell it home.

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m starting to think the same. 2 truck
I get a similar, but more of a ‘burning brake smell’, whenever i get to my brothers house, my ‘01 and ‘13 did it but I have yet to take my ‘19 to his house so that truck is yet to be determined. My wife and kids all smell it and always around the passenger side rear. My bro lives about 25-30 minutes away about halfway up a mountain, to a gravel driveway and when i get there I normally turn around up by his garage this is the only time i smell it. Outside temp has no effect, its always there when we get to his house. Since 2 diff trucks of mine did it i basically wrote if off to something on his driveway or at his house. I park my trucks in the garage at my house and i have yet to smell it home.

I’m starting to think the same. 2 trucks with exact same issue makes me believe it’s exhaust heat related and isn’t something to worry about. Appreciate the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts