Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted anything here. Kids have been busy with school. Joseph was the manager for both the Fresh/Soph and Varsity football teams. Javier is still working after school at the body shop he started working at last summer. Molly is busy with dance after school also.

This last weekend, Joseph and I took on the task of taking care of a squeak/growl from his rear axle. Thought it might be a axle bearing or brakes needing some work. Plan was to replace both since we were going to be at it.

Getting the cover off the differential was fun as the bottom three bolts broke off and I had to use a bolt extractor on the rest of them to get the cover off.

Joseph got to learn about using left hand drill bits and taps.

While spinning the drive shaft to position the rear diff to pull the c-clips, I discovered the true cause of the noise. His rear u-joint was pretty well toast so I decided to leave the axle bearings alone and button up the rear diff, put new lube in it, and move on to the brakes.

Joseph now has been able to work on both drum and disc brakes. He has a better appreciation of the simplicity of disc brakes after helping replace all the springs, pins, brake cylinder and shoes on drum brakes.

After the brakes were done, we went and got a new u-joint, popped it in and called it a weekend.

Was a great time to hang out with Joseph, turn some wrenches and teach him a few more things.

Here is a picture my wife took during the process of dealing with the rusty bolts on the differential. You can see my tap set is already open there.
View attachment 354016
I fell behind about 10 pages but caught up now. Both Joseph and Javier are amazing. You are Blessed to have them and they are Blessed to have you!

Prayers sent to both Joseph and your Dad for a quick recovery!

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....tonight didn't end so well for Joseph and his truck. While Javier and Joseph were on their way to Youth Group tonight, which is about a 20 minute drive, I got a call from Joseph saying that the heater wasn't blowing hot air anymore. Then he said they heard a sound like breaking ice from under the hood. When they called, they were only a block away from the church parking lot so I told them to get it there and id come look at it. They said there was coolant dripping from under the truck. I get there and can't see any obvious leak points or holes in any hoses so I get some coolant from the closest AutoZone and start pouring it in. I get about 1-1/2 gallons poured in and notice that I have it coming out the bottom just as fast as I am pouring it in, but not just under the front of the motor but also around the bell housing. Since it was 8:45 at night and 4F out I decided I would leave it there overnight and deal with it tomorrow.

On the way home, I was quizzing the boys some more and learned that prior to loosing heat and hearing the sound of breaking ice, Javier said there was a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust covering both lanes.

My guess is at a minimum a head gasket bit the dust, but I am thinking it may be more than that.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth fixing? It'll be a great how to with the boys tho.
It might be. Will just need to get it home and dig into it. I forgot that the intake manifold gasket is a common failure as well so that’s another possible failure point to look at. I’m just hoping the motor is salvageable. Otherwise, there are a couple options for swapping a motor ive found fit cheap around here.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It might be. Will just need to get it home and dig into it. I forgot that the intake manifold gasket is a common failure as well so that’s another possible failure point to look at. I’m just hoping the motor is salvageable. Otherwise, there are a couple options for swapping a motor ive found fit cheap around here.
Hoping for the best. Either way I'm pretty sure the boys will be up to the challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094