Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the same as with @Monz11 and others, I'm proud to share this online community and this country with you awesome people.

What's Molly been up to?
Thank you Chris.
Molly has been busy with softball and dance. She wrapped up dance this weekend and her last softball game is this Tuesday. She did put together a piece of bike art, as did Javier, for when RAGBRAI (big week long bike ride across Iowa from the Missouri River to the Mississippi River) comes through town. Finished them up yesterday and turned them in so they can be displayed around town.

Javier’s Bike
3C37DE5C-EAC7-45A7-96AD-7215E42D614A.jpeg
4D69B50B-338C-4F5E-A75B-983D1291E604.jpeg
Molly’s bike
9D2A2C09-D2C6-49E8-9E01-1C82C0EE243A.jpeg53F59078-3461-47C1-9FFC-1B8EE1DAAAFE.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Chris.
Molly has been busy with softball and dance. She wrapped up dance this weekend and her last softball game is this Tuesday. She did put together a piece of bike art, as did Javier, for when RAGBRAI (big week long bike ride across Iowa from the Missouri River to the Mississippi River) comes through town. Finished them up yesterday and turned them in so they can be displayed around town.

Javier’s Bike
View attachment 305767
View attachment 305769
Molly’s bike
View attachment 305771View attachment 305770

Cool design ideas!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
He got his mom’s feet. He needs to have a bunion removed and his big toe bone cut , straightened back out and screwed back together. Julie had this done on both her feet about 16 years ago. They were waiting for Joseph’s growth plates to close up, which they did early due to chemo he had 9 years ago.
Damn, I've seen shows about that operation. Poor guy.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

Sounds like I need to replace the rear axle bearings on Joseph’s 1997 K1500 and see that Rock Auto has two AC Delco Gold options 513067 & RP513067. What would cause me to chose one or the other? I have not torn into the rear end to look at stuff for final determination, but was curious if anyone could shed some light on the different options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted anything here. Kids have been busy with school. Joseph was the manager for both the Fresh/Soph and Varsity football teams. Javier is still working after school at the body shop he started working at last summer. Molly is busy with dance after school also.

This last weekend, Joseph and I took on the task of taking care of a squeak/growl from his rear axle. Thought it might be a axle bearing or brakes needing some work. Plan was to replace both since we were going to be at it.

Getting the cover off the differential was fun as the bottom three bolts broke off and I had to use a bolt extractor on the rest of them to get the cover off.

Joseph got to learn about using left hand drill bits and taps.

While spinning the drive shaft to position the rear diff to pull the c-clips, I discovered the true cause of the noise. His rear u-joint was pretty well toast so I decided to leave the axle bearings alone and button up the rear diff, put new lube in it, and move on to the brakes.

Joseph now has been able to work on both drum and disc brakes. He has a better appreciation of the simplicity of disc brakes after helping replace all the springs, pins, brake cylinder and shoes on drum brakes.

After the brakes were done, we went and got a new u-joint, popped it in and called it a weekend.

Was a great time to hang out with Joseph, turn some wrenches and teach him a few more things.

Here is a picture my wife took during the process of dealing with the rusty bolts on the differential. You can see my tap set is already open there.
1635476062649.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons

Latest posts